Wu at MileHiCon 39
|Movement||Fantasy, science fiction, horror, humor|
Illustrators of the Future
2008 Nominated, declined
Frank Wu is a science fiction and fantasy artist living in Arlington, MA. He won the Hugo Award for Best Fan Artist in 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2009; he was previously nominated in 2002 and 2003. He also won the Grand Prize (the Gold Award) in the Illustrators of the Future contest in 2000. In 2008 he was nominated for a fourth Hugo Award for Best Fan Artist, but declined the nomination. Nominated again in 2009, he accepted and won his fourth Hugo, but used his acceptance speech to encouraged future voters to consider other candidates.
Wu works in many media, including acrylic and digital painting, and created a portrait of a Klingon girl for the documentary about the Klingon language, Earthlings: Ugly Bags of Mostly Water. He is a regular contributor to science fiction webzines, such as The Drink Tank, and in 2009 announced his ultimately unsuccessful candidacy for 2010's TransAtlantic Fan Fund.
Wu is also a filmmaker, having released in 2006 the animated short, "The Tragical Historie of Guidolon the Giant Space Chicken". A Director's Cut of this short was released in 2007, and a full-length version is now in production.
In addition to these activities, Dr Wu holds a Ph.D. in bacterial genetics from University of Wisconsin–Madison, though his day job is in patent law for a pharmaceutical conglomerate. He is also a member of BASFA, the Bay Area Science Fiction Association.
- "2004 Hugo Awards". World Science Fiction Society. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- "2006 Hugo Awards". World Science Fiction Society. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- "2007 Hugo Award Nominations". World Science Fiction Society. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- "2009 Hugo Awards". World Science Fiction Society. Retrieved August 12, 2009.
- "2000 Writer & Illustrators of the Future Awards". writersofthefuture.com. Retrieved October 2, 2009.
- "2009 Hugo Award Nominations". thehugoawards.org. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- "YouTube video — Guidolon the Giant Space Chicken (original version)".
- "YouTube — GUIDOLON The Giant Space Chicken DIRECTOR'S CUT Animation".
- "Feature film based on "GUIDOLON The Giant Space Chicken DIRECTOR'S CUT" - Boing Boing".
- "Work for Guidolon the Giant Space Chicken and Friends by Frank Wu — a set on Flickr".
- "Replication of Plasmid R6K in Bacterium E. coli". Official Frank Wu Website. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- Hickman, Terry (May 13, 2002). "Interview: Frank Wu". Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- "The San Francisco Bay Area Science Fiction Association". Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- Frank Wu's LiveJournal Blog
- Frank Wu's Homepage
- Frank Wu at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Guidolon the Giant Space Chicken Official Website and on YouTube
- Frank Wu at the Internet Movie Database
- Home Page of Chris Garcia's "Drink Tank"
|This article about an artist from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|