Frankfurt Egelsbach Airport
|Frankfurt Egelsbach Airport
|IATA: none – ICAO: EDFE|
|Operator||Hessische Flugplatz GmbH Egelsbach|
|Elevation AMSL||385 ft / 117 m|
Frankfurt Egelsbach Airport (German: Flugplatz Frankfurt-Egelsbach) (ICAO: EDFE) is a busy general aviation airport located near Egelsbach, a city in the German state of Hesse. It is just southeast of Frankfurt Airport.
The airport was opened in 1955 with a single grass runway. It proved popular, and by 1957 was already seeing 37,000 movements a year. Because of this, in 1966, an asphalt runway was constructed and by 1977 the number of movements had increased to 126,000 a year. In 2007, about 77,000 movements were made, making it the busiest airport for general aviation in Germany.
To allow for larger aircraft to land, in 2004 construction was started on a runway expansion, which increased the runway length to its current 1,400 meters. In May 2009, NetJets Europe announced that they intended to purchase the airport.
Today NetJets owns 80% of the aerodrome (the other 20% being owned by local communities) and intends to establish IFR procedures at the airport, including an ILS approach. It is also planned to extend the runway by another 270 meters and increase the width by 5 meters.
The airport resides at an elevation of 385 feet (117 m) above mean sea level. It has two runways, both in the 09/27 direction (though no left (L) or right (R) markings or indicators are used): a 1,400-by-25-metre (4,593 ft × 82 ft) asphalt runway and a 670 by 30 metres (2,198 ft × 98 ft) grass runway.
Airlines and destinations
There are no scheduled services to and from Frankfurt Egelsbach Airport.
Accidents and incidents
- On 1 March 2012, a Cessna Citation X was due to land at Egelsbach Airport, arriving from Linz Airport, when it crashed in a forest about 4 km from the airport. All five people on board were killed. The reason for the crash is yet unknown.
- Egelsbach - Flugplatz (EDFE) at AIRPORTS.DE
- Airport information for EDFE from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for EDFE at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- Egelsbach Airport (IATA: QEF, ICAO: EDFE) at Aviation Safety Network
- Egelsbach-Airport.com - Pläne von NetJets am Flugplatz Egelsbach (German), page retrieved April 3, 2011.
- Aviation Safety Net, page retrieved March 4, 2012.
Media related to Flugplatz Egelsbach at Wikimedia Commons