Frankfurter Kantorei (Frankfurt chorale) is a German mixed concert choir established in July 1945 by Kurt Thomas in Frankfurt. In 1969, Helmuth Rilling assumed leadership, and the choir began recording the complete Bach cantatas in 1972. From 1982 to 1997, Wolfgang Schäfer was artistic director of the Frankfurter Kantorei. Since then it has been led by Winfried Toll. The choir has performed concert tours abroad in Paris, Lyon, Venice, Turin, Vienna, Helsinki, St Petersburg, Istanbul, Los Angeles, Seattle and Toronto, among others, and first appeared in Israel in 1979. The group has made numerous CD recordings on the EMI Classics label. In 2000 they were a recipient of the Binding Kulturpreis, and in May 2000, they performed Brecht/Weill's Three Penny Opera at the Musiktriennale Köln of Cologne. The choir has a membership of about 70.
In 2007, the Kantorei took part in an audio play Doktor Faustus – Das Leben des deutschen Tonsetzers Adrian Leverkühn erzählt von einem Freunde with music by Hermann Kretzschmar.
On 3 April 2009, the choir performed in Tel Aviv in a concert commemorating the hundredth anniversary of the foundation of the city in a Mann Auditorium. The program contained Mozart's Requiem and Mendelssohn's Die erste Walpurgisnacht, with the Israel Chamber Orchestra.
- "Frankfurter Kantorei (Choir)". Bach Cantatas. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- Rilling, Sara Maria (September 2008). Mein Vater Helmuth Rilling. Hänssler. p. 128. ISBN 978-3-7751-4923-5. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- Unger, Melvin P. (15 June 2010). Historical Dictionary of Choral Music. Scarecrow Press. p. 374. ISBN 978-0-8108-5751-3. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- Cummings, David M. (13 June 2000). International Who's Who in Music. Psychology Press. p. 541. ISBN 978-0-948875-53-3. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Frankfurter Kantorei". Discogs. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Der Zwerg". operone.de. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- "Der Zwerg". Gramophone. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- "Doktor Faustus – Das Leben des deutschen Tonsetzers Adrian Leverkühn erzählt von einem Freunde". hoerspieltipps.net. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- "The concerts since 2000". Frankfurter Kantorei. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "Städtepartnerschaft / Runder Geburtstag in Tel Aviv" (in German). Frankfurter Rundschau. 31 March 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Viel Applaus für klingendes Geschenk" (in German). Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. 7 April 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Rheinberger: Missae et Cantiones". Allmusic. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- Literature by and about Frankfurter Kantorei in the German National Library catalogue
- Frankfurter Kantorei at AllMusic
- Official site
- Frankfurter Kantorei (Choir)