Poullain live with The Darkness.
|Birth name||Franklin Poullain|
15 April 1967 |
|Years active||2000 - present|
|Associated acts||The Darkness|
Francis Gilles Poullain-Patterson (born 15 April 1967), better known as Frankie Poullain, is the bass player for rock band The Darkness. He was born in Edinburgh, Scotland. He attended the Royal High School from 1984 to 1987.
Poullain left the band on 23 May 2005, citing "musical differences" as the reason. He was replaced by Richie Edwards, a former guitar technician for the band. His departure caused quite a stir with the press, most notably in the NME magazine where he was reportedly regarded as their favourite member of the band.
However, in 2011 The Darkness officially announced that they were to reunite, with all 4 original members. Frankie described this as being "Just like old times". The band sub-headlined Download Festival at Donington Park, England in June 2011, playing under Def Leppard. They also played at Hammersmith, with Queen guitarist Brian May joining the band. The band's third studio album Hot Cakes was released in early 2012, as the band embarked on the Hot Cakes tour.
Frankie's autobiography Dancing in the Darkness (John Blake Publishing), charting the ups and downs of life with the band, was released in November 2008.
He plays a Gibson Thunderbird IV bass guitar (nicknamed "the brown bastard"), recognisable for its reverse body design. When playing live he allows natural distortion to take place for effect. He also uses a Fender Precision Bass, Ampeg VT, Mesa Boogie, 50 watt handwired Marshall guitar combo and a Sans Amp bass driver.
- "Poullain Quits The Darkness". Contactmusic.com. 23 May 2005. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- "The Darkness replace Poullain". Contactmusic.com. 15 June 2005. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- John-Paul Pryor. "Frankie Poullain's Dancing in the Darkness". dazeddigital.com. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Frankie Poullain's Equipment at outofthedarkness.co.uk
- FlamingWhopper.com, UK based fan website for The Darkness, Stone Gods, Hot Leg & British Whale (Established 2005)
- outofthedarkness.co.uk, Fan based media website for The Darkness, Stone Gods, Hot Leg and British Whale
|This article about a Scottish musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a British bass guitarist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|