14 January 1989
Upminster, London, England
|Other names||Frankie Bridge|
|Occupation||Singer, dancer, model, songwriter|
|Spouse(s)||Wayne Bridge (m. 2014)|
|Genres||Pop, R&B, dance, pop rock|
Francesca "Frankie" Bridge (née Sandford; born 14 January 1989) is an English singer-songwriter, formerly a member of S Club Juniors and currently a member of girl group The Saturdays, signed to the Fascination and Polydor labels. The group has released sixteen singles so far, of which thirteen have reached the Top 10 on the UK Singles Chart, including one UK number-one single, "What About Us". In addition, the group has had five Top 10 albums on the UK Albums Chart, which have all gained a certification from the British Phonographic Industry. Throughout Bridge's time in the music industry, she has achieved nineteen UK Top 10 Singles and six UK Top 10 Albums.
Sandford is married to Wayne Bridge, with whom she had her first child, a son, in October 2013.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career history
- 3 Other endeavours
- 4 Musical style
- 5 Personal life
- 6 Discography
- 7 Tours
- 8 Awards and nominations
- 9 Filmography
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Sandford was born in Upminster, London, to Kevin and Viv Sandford, and has an older sister, Victoria. After school hours, she attended a private dance school. After leaving school, Sandford went to a stage school in Romford and studied musical arts. She also expressed an interest in going to the BRIT School. Sandford also previously worked in a bar in her local town during the week and had a Saturday job as a sales assistant at an AllSaints concession in House of Fraser, Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex.
2001–05: S Club 8
S Club Juniors were formed in 2001 through a reality television show, known as S Club Search. The auditions aired on CBBC. S Club Juniors' appearances were considered a success and consequently 19 Entertainment, the management company that had created S Club 7 and auditioned S Club Juniors, decided they should perform as a support act at all of the venues on the tour. The band released their first single "One Step Closer" where it charted at number two in the UK, selling roughly 52,000 copies in its first week. "Automatic High" was released as the second single from the band's first studio album, and also debuted at number two. Sandford was the only member of the band to get a solo in every chorus of the song. A third single was released from the album, "New Direction" and again charted at number two in the UK. The Juniors released their debut album Together on 21 October; it reached number five in its first week of sale and sold 40,000 copies. A fourth single, "Puppy Love/Sleigh Ride", was released on 9 December 2002.
In early 2003, the Juniors began working on their second studio album, Sundown The second single released, the album title track, also reached number 4 in the UK. A third and final single was released, "Don't Tell Me You're Sorry", which charted at number 9.
The group went on to I Dream for 19 Entertainment. Unlike the S Club 7 shows which focused upon the band's fictional exploits, I Dream saw S Club 8 as members of a larger ensemble cast. I Dream revolved around the summer school Avalon Heights, run by Professor Toone (played by Christopher Lloyd), where the characters tried to improve on their talents in the performing arts. The show prominently featured songs and dances, with normally two songs per episode. S Club 8 split up in early 2005.
2007–present: The Saturdays
Since 2007, Sandford has been a member of girl group The Saturdays. The group has achieved thirteen Top 10 hits, and four Top 10 albums. The girl group released their debut single "If This Is Love" in July 2008, and it peaked at number eight in the UK. The group released a second single "Up" which charted at number five in the UK and later the song was given a Silver Disc in the United Kingdom. In late October 2008, the group released their first studio album Chasing Lights. It charted at number nine in the UK, and went platinum according to the BPI. The band released a third single from the album, Issues, which also went silver. The Saturdays released a cover of Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode. The song debuted at number two in the UK, behind Flo Rida's "Right Round". The fifth and final single from the album was "Work", which was the first single by the group to fail to reach the top 20. The group later went on a tour titled The Work Tour.
In October 2009, the group released a second studio album, Wordshaker, which charted at number nine and was given a silver certification by the BPI. The first single, "Forever Is Over", charted at number two in the UK. The Saturdays appeared in advertisements for several products including a brand of deodorant, tampons, mobile phones, an operating system, and hair removal products. But in early 2010, the girls released a second and final single from their second album, "Ego", which charted at number nine. Although the song became the second lowest single to chart by the group, it became one of their highest selling singles[specify], after getting a certification of silver by the BPI.
In summer 2010, the Saturdays released their first mini album (their third album overall) Headlines!, which charted at number 3 in the UK and number 10 in Ireland. The band released their eighth single, "Missing You", which charted at number three in the UK and number six in Ireland. Rochelle Wiseman confirmed that the second single from the album would be "Higher" It was later confirmed, by the band's official website that Flo Rida had recorded vocals for "Higher". On Your Radar was the girls' third studio album, reaching a disappointing number 23 in the UK and spending only three weeks in the UK Top 75, but featured the top-ten hits, "All Fired Up" and "Notorious" as well as single, "My Heart Takes Over". In December 2011, the group went on their first headlining arena tour, All Fired Up Tour!.
The band released their first single taken from their 4th studio album '30 Days' in May 2012, which peaked at number 7. The band later in the year temporarily moved from London to Los Angeles in hope to break America. Helping increase their single sales in America, E! Network broadcast 'Chasing The Saturdays,' a reality TV show following the girls during their 3 month stay in America. The show premiered in January 2013 and was cancelled after one series. The band released in the UK 'What About Us' featuring rapper Sean Paul in March 2013 which became their first number one single and was the biggest selling single of the year (at that point.) Later on in the year 'Gentleman' and 'Disco Love' were released both of them charting in the top 15. Their album 'Living For The Weekend' became the bands fourth top ten album. The final single taken from the album was a fan favourite. The radio mix of 'Not Giving Up' was released in April 2014 and was the girls 17th top 40 single.
In FHM's Sexiest Women poll, Sandford was ranked 17 in 2009, fourth in 2010 and dropped to 22 in 2011. Zoo magazine's readers declared her to have the "best bum". Sandford is a guest vocalist on Kids in Glass Houses's second album Dirt, appearing on the track "Undercover Lover".
In November 2008, along with The Saturdays, Sandford appeared in the Channel 4 Hollyoaks spin-off Hollyoaks Later. They performed the song "Issues" in the 10 minute BBC drama Myths in January 2009, in the episode 'A Syren's Call'.
On 22 September 2004, I Dream, a children's musical television comedy programme aimed at and about teenagers, was broadcast. Set at a performing arts college near Barcelona, Spain, the programme focused on thirteen teens, including Sandford, invited to enroll at Avalon Heightsover the summer. Christopher Lloyd also starred in the show. The programme was created by Simon Fuller who is responsible for the Idol series. In late 2008, Sandford appeared in late-night teen soap Hollyoaks Later, where she was credited as herself. The Saturdays were given their own reality TV series The Saturdays: 24/7, which followed the band during their day-to-day life promoting their new album [at the time] Headlines!. The programme was sponsored by watchmakers Sekonda. The programme also featured exclusive performances by Sandford and her band.
Commenting on rumours about tension in The Saturdays, Sandford said, "You always see in the papers, that me and girls are always arguing, we really don't and there is no bitching at all." In the first episode of The Saturdays: 24/7 the band were shown gigging around the UK, without King, after she was taken ill after being bitten by a horse-fly and Sandford had to learn new lines of their song "If This Is Love" after she stated she didn't know all the song's lines.
On 8 November 2010, Sandford took part in the paranormal television programme Ghosthunting with..., where she appeared with her bandmates. On the programme, the band investigated purported paranormal activity accompanied by host Yvette Fielding, who took them to visit three locations within the Welsh mountains: the clock tower, the manor and the kitchen block. In each of these areas, there have been countless reports of strange phenomena including the sounds of chatter coming from empty rooms, cooking smells coming from an empty kitchen, and reported ghostly sightings. During the time in the first location, Sandford said that she could smell someone cooking, although no one was in the kitchen. She also experienced a ghost throwing marbles at her, when there was no one there. When she was about to leave the haunted location the spirit of the little girl apparently threw marbles at them.
In 2010, Sandford appeared in ITV reality series The Door where she had to pass through a series of doors and take on a number of tough challenges. The last star standing claims a cash prize for their chosen charity. Sandford was the first celebrity to be eliminated from the show after she could not put her hand in a bowl of spiders to get the key to the door to pass through to the next level. Sandford commented, "It's funny because I know when I watch it that I'll look like I hate every second of it but I absolutely loved it. I wanted it to keep going."
Sandford was in talks to become a judge on The X Factor after Cheryl Cole left the panel following the 2011 series. She was later judged not to have a "high enough profile". Sandford also declined to appear on rival BBC talent show The Voice UK due to her "busy schedule".
On 13 August 2014, Sandford announced on BBC Breakfast that she would be competing in the upcoming twelfth series of Strictly Come Dancing that will begin airing in September 2014. Her dance partner was Kevin Clifton. Bridge and Clifton placed runner-up in the final, alongside Simon Webbe & Kristina Rihanoff.
Merchandise and sponsorship deals
Sandford contributed to the book The Saturdays: Our Story, an autobiography of The Saturdays that was released on 25 October 2010. The book was written by a ghostwriter and published by the Transworld imprint Bantam Press. Sandford and her band also began a book signing on at WH Smith in Bluewater. The book gives an insight into the Sandford's life, where she explains her success with The Saturdays as well as her ex-band S Club 8. Sandford talks about her love life, her friendships within the band and personal insight into her life before finding fame. Sandford also gives fashion and beauty tips throughout the book and gossip accompanied by photos from her own collection.
As a member of The Saturdays, Sandford became of new face of hair removal product, Veet. In the photoshoot to promote Veet's new collection, the band models a range of micro mini-skirts and body con dresses to show off their hair-free legs. They also later became the new faces of Impulse women's deodorant. The band recorded a television ad dubbed The Impulse Diaries. The TV content, which involves a sponsorship package on Channel 4, will show the girls in various settings including a hotel room, a tour bus and backstage before a gig. This first aired on 23 October. The Saturdays also became the face of Nintendo 3DS game, Nintendogs + Cats, for which the band recorded a number of TV adverts to promote.
Sandford gained a record deal in 2002 with band S Club 8 and the band released pop song, "One Step Closer", in which she sings the solo parts in every chorus and backing vocals in the end of the song. All of the band's songs were pop-based music. After the band split up, she remained signed to Polydor Records and uploaded a R&B song titled "Bored" onto MySpace. She later uploaded another track titled "Swallow" which was a pop rock song. She later became a member of The Saturdays and recorded a song titled "If This Is Love," featuring elements of synthpop and new wave. Sandford's style has also been described by music critics as "obligatory fluffy summery pop," "pure uplifting pop," "an 80's throwback" and "an electro-soul number." In 2010, she went on to release another solo song with Kids in Glass Houses called "Undercover Love", which was released from their 2010 album Dirt.
The Sun reported that Sandford "flirts her way through the song" with her vocals. She later released a new song with The Saturdays, "Missing You" and then "Higher" where the band have made use of auto-tuning on their vocals. The production of "Higher" was described as "hectic" "yet very catchy." Sandford was criticised by press after the release of "Missing You" after she used Auto-Tune on some of her vocals. Many artists have expressed views in collaborating with Sandford including Bruno Mars and Flo Rida, who stated that he would like to work with Sandford as a solo act.
Sandford began dating McFly bassist Dougie Poynter in October 2008. However, the pair split for a brief period in March 2010 before reuniting the following month but split up again in November of the same year. Poynter stated that they would not be getting back together for the third time. When the pair split up, Sandford received death threats from his fans.
Sandford has been dating footballer Wayne Bridge since December 2010. On 8 April 2013, Sandford announced on Twitter that the couple were engaged. She gave birth to their son on 18 October 2013. The couple married on 19 July 2014 in private ceremony. In January 2015, Sandford announced she and Bridge were expecting their second child together.
As featured artist
(Kids in Glass Houses featuring Frankie Sandford)
With The Saturdays
As solo supporting act
Awards and nominations
|2008||Virgin Media Awards||Most Fanciable Female||Nominated|
|2009||FHM 100 Sexiest Women in the World||#17 Sexiest Woman in the World||Won|
|2009||Virgin Media Awards||#2 Hottest Female||Won|
|2010||FHM 100 Sexiest Women in the World||#4 Sexiest Woman in the World||Won|
|2011||FHM 100 Sexiest Women in the World||#22 Sexiest Woman in the World||Won|
|2011||Glamour Awards||Best Dressed||Won|
|2014||Inspiration Awards For Women||Next Generation||Won|
|2001||S Club Search||Herself||TV series|
|2002||Viva S Club||Fan|
|2002||Smash Hits Poll Winners Party 2002||Herself||With S Club Juniors|
|2002–03||Top of The Pops||Herself||Five performances with S Club Juniors|
|2004||Ministry of Mayhem||Herself|
|2004||Top of The Pops Saturday||Herself||One performance with S Club Juniors|
|2008||Hollyoaks Later||Herself||Series 1, Episode 3|
|2008||Never Mind the Buzzcocks||Herself||TV series (Episode 22.2)|
|2008||Big Brother's Little Brother||Herself|
|2009||The Xtra Factor||Herself|
|2009||Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway||Herself|
|2009||Something for the Weekend||Herself|
|2010||Impulse Into Glamour Presents: A Diary of the Saturdays T4 Special||Herself|
|2010||The Door||Herself||ITV celebrity reality game show|
|2013||Chasing the Saturdays||Herself||TV series|
|2014||Strictly Come Dancing||Herself, participant||BBC celebrity ballroom dancing series|
- "The Girls: Frankie". The Saturdays official website. Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- Hewett, Emily (18 October 2013). "‘Besotted’ Frankie Sandford and Wayne Bridge welcome baby boy Parker". Metro (DMG Media). Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "findmypast.co.uk - Francesca Sandford". findmypast.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- "Frankie Sandford parents and sister". Mail Online.
- "Sandford talks early life". Mail Online.
- John Dingwall (27 February 2009). "I'm delighted to have been given second chance for pop career, says Saturdays singer Frankie Sandford". Daily Record. Retrieved 2009-06-09.[dead link]
- Andrew Williams (6 January 2009). "Frankie Sandford saves her pop career with Saturdays". Metro. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- "Who are S Club 8?". CBBC Newsround. 22 April 2002. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- "S Club Juniors reach for the stars". CBBC Newsround (BBC). 27 November 2001. Retrieved 2007-09-05.
- "S Club Juniors - One Step Closer: Charts". Music Square. Retrieved 2008-10-31.
- The Saturdays.chartstats.com. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- Balls, David. "The Saturdays: 'Wordshaker'". Retrieved 2010-08-05.
- "The Saturdays Charting".
- The Saturdays certifications
- "The Saturdays are the new faces of Tampax Pearl". Sugarscape.
- "The Saturdays are new faces of Veet". 22 May 2009.
- "Interview with Una Healy - RTÉ Ten". Rte.ie. 24 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "The Saturdays Missing You CD Single Release". Universal Music. Retrieved 2010-06-27.
- Thursday, 5 August 2010, 09:44 BST (5 August 2010). "Music - News - Wiseman 'reveals next Saturdays single'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- Ann Lee for Metro. "The Saturdays all confirm Higher as next single". Metro.
- "Future Releases". Galaxy FM. Retrieved 2010-09-03.
- The Saturdays record a track with Flo Rida
- "FHM's 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2010: The Top Ten".
- "Frankie Sandford at FHM.com". FHM.com.
- Zoo magazine, 22–28 October 2010, pafes 54-55.
- "Kids In Glass Houses tracklisting for Dirt revealed". Rock Sound Magazine.
- "Francesca Sandford". IMDb. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- Tina Miles (1 April 2009). "Boyband McFly to star in Hollyoaks". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- [wiki/I_Dream Information on I Dream]
- OK! Magazine: First For Celebrity News :: Bios
- "Interview - The Saturdays". Digital Spy. 31 July 2010.
- Summer Time from Sekonda sponsors The Saturdays: 24/7 Watch Shop, 27 August 2010
- The Saturdays 24/7 | Unreality TV
- "The Saturdays Mollie King absent from number of performances". Digital Spy. 2 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- Ghosthunting with... The Saturdays UK TV Guide, 8 November 2010
- "The Saturdays Ghosthunting With...". Official website. ITV2. 25 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- Frankie Sandford loves new gameshow The Door | TV: Latest News|STV Entertainment
- [dead link]
- "The Saturdays' Frankie Sandford confirmed for Strictly Come Dancing". Mail Online.
- Metro Showbiz Reporter. "Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Frankie Sandford juggles The Saturdays and dance duties - Metro News". Metro.
- "The Saturdays: Our Story". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- Alison Flood (4 October 2010). "The Saturdays". TheBookseller.com. Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- "Meet the Sats at 'Our Story' Book Signing". Official website. TheSaturdays. 6 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "The Saturdays Reveal New Book 'Our Story' PLUS Book Signing!". Official website. The Saturdays. 24 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- The Saturdays Are New Faces Of Veet - Female First
- Impulse signed The Saturdays for 'behind the scenes' campaign - Brand Republic News
- The Saturdays are new ambassadors for Nintendogs + Cats for DS
- "Frankie Sandford releases Bored to fans". YouTube.
- p Frankie Sandford - Swallow is a pop rock song
- Levine, Nick (19 July 2008). "Music - Singles Review - The Saturdays: 'If This Is Love'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- Barnes, Mike (28 July 2008). "The Saturdays - If This Is Love". musicOMH. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- "Pop star turns indie princess". The Sun (London). 13 May 2010.
- Love, Ryan (9 August 2010). "The Saturdays - Headlines! (review)". Digital Spy (Hachette Filipacchi Médias). Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- Gill, Jaime (18 August 2010). "The Saturdays - ‘Headlines’". Yahoo!. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- James, Sarah-Louise (16 August 2010). "REVIEW - THE SATURDAYS: HEADLINES". Daily Star. Northern & Shell. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- Copsey, Robert (20 January 2011). "Bruno Mars and Flo Rida want collaboration with Sandford". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2011-02-06.
- Littlejohn, Georgina (18 March 2010). "The Saturdays' Frankie Sandford pays tribute to her grandmother with new tattoo". Daily Mail (London).
- metrowebukmetro. "Metro interview 6 Jan 2009". Metro.
- "McFly's Dougie: I follow Frankie". Metro. 18 September 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "Frankie Sandford: Dougie and I are living together again". Now Magazine.
- "The Saturdays' Frankie Sandford comes over all Lily Allen in suspender tights and leather hotpants for Christmas party". London: The Daily Mail. 13 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-14.
- Frankie Sandford and Dougie Poynter are back together - Confirmed by Mollie King
- "Sandford and Poynter split for the second time". nowmagazine.
- "McFly's Dougie confirms split". Digitalspy.
- "Wayne Bridge scores a pop star girlfriend in Saturdays singer Frankie Sandford". Daily Mail (London). 3 January 2011.
- Shock! James Corden set up Frankie Sandford and Wayne Bridge | heatworld.com
- Ruby, Jennifer (8 April 2013). "'Guess what?!!!': The Saturdays' Frankie Sandford shows off diamond ring as she announces engagement to Wayne Bridge". Daily Mail (London).
- "Frankie Bridge 'delighted' to be expecting her second baby". Hello (United Kingdom: hellomagazine.com). Hello Ltd. 9 January 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- Laing, Greg (8 January 2015). "Frankie Bridge pregnant with second child, pulls out of Strictly tour". Digital Spy. United Kingdom: Hearst Corporation. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- Rosie Baker (20 August 2013). "Frankie Sandford fronts new mental health campaign". Hertfordshire Mercury. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- Virgin Media Music Awards 2007: The winners
- "Frankie Sandford at FHM.com". FHM. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- "Cheryl Cole snatches Hottest Female title off Frankie Sandford". This is London. 11 February 2010.
- "Frankie Sandford at FHM.com 2011".
- Glamour (7 June 2011). "Full list of GLAMOUR 2011 Awards Winners". Glamour. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "The Inspiration Award Winners 2014". Inspiration Awards. 2 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Frankie Sandford.|
- Frankie Website profile at TheSaturdays.co.uk
- Francesca Sandford at the Internet Movie Database
- Frankie Sandford on Twitter
Susanna Reid & Kevin Clifton
Natalie Gumede & Artem Chigvintsev
|Strictly Come Dancing runner-up
(with partner Kevin Clifton)
Series 12 (2014)