Franklin, Delaware County, New York
Upjohn Church, Franklin, NY
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Supervisor||Donald M. Smith (R)|
|• Total||81.53 sq mi (211.2 km2)|
|• Land||81.25 sq mi (210.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.28 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|• Density||30/sq mi (11/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
The town was formed in 1792 from the Town of Harpersfield.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 81.53 square miles (211.2 km²), of which, 81.25 square miles (210.4 km²) of it is land and 0.28 square miles (0.7 km²) of it (0.34%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,621 people, 1,026 households, and 725 families residing in the town. The population density was 32.2 people per square mile (12.4/km²). There were 1,371 housing units at an average density of 16.8 per square mile (6.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.51% White, 0.69% Black or African American, 0.04% Native American, 0.15% Asian, 0.31% from other races, and 0.31% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.72% of the population.
There were 1,026 households out of which 31.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.7% were married couples living together, 6.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.3% were non-families. 24.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.9% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 25.9% from 25 to 44, 26.6% from 45 to 64, and 16.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 99.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $35,417, and the median income for a family was $44,519. Males had a median income of $26,367 versus $22,625 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,477. About 7.7% of families and 10.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.3% of those under age 18 and 5.3% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in the Town of Franklin
- Bartlett Hollow – A hamlet southwest of Franklin village on Route 357.
- Brooklyn – In earlier times, a hamlet north of Franklin village.
- Franklin – The Village of Franklin on Route 357.
- Leonta – In earlier times, a hamlet northeast of Franklin village on Route 357.
- North Franklin – A location in the northeast part of the town.
- Treadwell – A hamlet northeast of Franklin Village on County Highway 14.
- "County Subdivisions: New York". 2010 Census Gazetteer Files. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 8, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Franklin Local, Ltd: local events and information
- Greater Franklin Chamber of Commerce
- Town of Franklin profile, Delaware County Chamber of Commerce