Franklin D. Roosevelt High School (Dallas, Texas)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008)|
|Franklin D. Roosevelt High School|
Pride, Respect, Dignity, and Responsibility
|525 Bonnie View Road
Dallas, Texas, 75203
|School type||Public, comprehensive high school|
|School district||Dallas Independent School District|
|Superintendent||Michael Hinojosa, Ed.D.|
|Area trustee||Lew Blackburn, Ph.D. (District 5)|
|Principal||Dr. Leicha Shaver|
|Assistant Principal||Peggi Bailey-Coleman|
|Color(s)||Columbia blue & White|
|Team name||Mighty Mustangs/Lady Mustangs|
|Communities served||Southeast Oak Cliff|
|Feeder schools||Oliver Wendell Holmes Middle School Academy|
|Students considered a racial minority||776 (99.6%)|
|Students not considered a racial minority||3 (0.4%)|
|Learning Community||Superintendent's - Leslie Williams|
|Website||Information by Dallas ISD|
Franklin D. Roosevelt High School is a public high school in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas, Texas (USA), serving grades 9 - 12. The school opened in 1963 and is part of the Dallas Independent School District.
Construction of the school began in 1961 at 525 Bonnie View Road in the Oak Cliff area. Built before the school district integrated its high schools, the campus was the first new "Negro high school" built in Dallas since 1939 at the time it opened in January 1963. The school was built to serve a maximum capacity of 2000 students and at its opening was expected to draw about 1200 students from the Oak Cliff area, most previously attending Madison High School — which had itself been converted to a "Negro school" in 1956 to relieve overcrowding at Booker T. Washington and Lincoln high schools.
- Waymond Bryant, former American football linebacker, played for the Chicago Bears
- Roy Martin, sprinter, US high school record holder
- Aaron Wallace, NFL player
- Richmond Webb, NFL player; 7-time NFL pro bowler and 5-time all-pro selection
- Kevin Williams, NFL player
- John Jefferson, NFL player
Coach "Cowboy" Roberson
- Texas Education Agency. "2008 Campus AEIS Report". Retrieved 20 December 2008.
- Carlos Conde. "School OK'd on condition," The Dallas Morning News, January 24, 1963, section 4, page 1.
- "Dallas Floodway Extension Project." (Direct image link) Trinity River Corridor. Retrieved on July 17, 2010.
- "Fall 2009 Franklin D. Roosevelt High School Attendance Zone with Wilmer-Hutchins (Grades 9-12)." Dallas Independent School District. Retrieved on July 17, 2010.
- Sue Connally. "Forest assigned to Negro pupils: District added to Crozier's," The Dallas Morning News, June 14, 1956, section 1, pages 1 and 9. Note: At that time, "district" was used in Dallas to refer to the attendance zone of a specific school, rather than the system as a whole.
- "Fall 2006 Franklin D. Roosevelt High School (9-12) Attendance Zone with Wilmer-Hutchins." Dallas Independent School District. Retrieved on July 15, 2011.
- Hobbs, Tawnell D. "Dallas school district to open 3 Wilmer-Hutchins campuses, close 2 others." The Dallas Morning News. November 24, 2010. Retrieved on July 15, 2011.
- "Fall 2010 Franklin D. Roosevelt High School Attendance Zone with Wilmer-Hutchins - Grades 9-12." Dallas Independent School District. Retrieved on July 15, 2011.
- "Fall 2011 Wilmer-Hutchins High School Attendance Zone Grades 9-12." Dallas Independent School District. Retrieved on July 15, 2011.
- "Waymond Bryant". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- Game of My Life: 25 Stories of Aggie Football. p. 175.
- "Lt Richmond Webb". CNN. 1994-09-05. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Kevin Williams".
- "John Jefferson".