Franklin Delano Roosevelt High School (Hyde Park, New York)
|Franklin Delano Roosevelt High School|
|156 South Cross Road
Hyde Park, NY 12538
|School district||Hyde Park Central School District|
|Faculty||94.9 (on an FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.0|
|Team name||Roosevelt Presidents|
Franklin Delano Roosevelt High School is a public high school located in Hyde Park, New York in Dutchess County. Named for a native son, the school serves about 1,550 students in grades 9 to 12 in the Hyde Park Central School District.
The original high school building (now Haviland Middle School) was built on land donated to the town by local farmer Ben Haviland. Construction began in 1938 and was one of three schools erected as a Depression-era Public Works Administration project in Hyde Park.
It was originally called the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Junior-Senior High School and may be the only public high school in the United States built under the auspices of, and named for, a sitting president. President Roosevelt dedicated the school to the town in 1940, and the school graduated its first class in 1941. As enrollment increased, the town began construction on the current high school building which opened in 1965.
- Wes Bialosuknia — former professional basketball player with the 1967-1968 Oakland Oaks in the ABA
- Craig Capano — former professional soccer player who played for Chicago Fire (2002-2006) of the MLS, and the USA U-20s
- Frank Cimorelli — former professional baseball pitcher for the 1994 St. Louis Cardinals.
- Will Daniels — professional basketball player currently playing with Nizhny Novgorod in the Euroleague
- Bill Duke — actor and film director
- Carolyn Adams Garcia — Author, artist and 1960's icon, former wife of Jerry Garcia
- Hafsteinn Hafsteinsson — Icelandic actor in film, television and advertising
- Ricky Horton — former Major League Baseball pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals and 1988 World Series winners Los Angeles Dodgers currently an announcer on Fox Sports Midwest.
- C. J. Hunter — former Olympic shot putter and gold medalist at the 1999 World Championship.
- Patrick Manning — five time member of the U.S. National Rowing Team and silver medalist at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona in the men's heavyweight coxless four
- Anthony Noto — current Chief Financial Officer of Twitter
- Keith W. Olson — award winning author of twentieth-century history in the United States
- Richard Rinaldi — former professional basketball player with the Baltimore Bullets and New York Nets in the ABA
- Justin Taylan — World War II historian and author, founder of the Pacific Wrecks Database.
- Jeff Tyzik — well regarded conductor, arranger, and trumpeter with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra
- Steve Walker — former collegiate All-American and Academic All-American soccer player at Boston University
- Brett Wilkinson — former member of the U.S. National Rowing Team who competed at the 2004 Summer Olympics in the men's quadruple sculls
- Kyle Winter — former professional rugby player and member of the 2009 Indonesian National Rugby Team
- "Franklin D. Roosevelt Senior High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2014-11-13.
- "Hyde Park Central School District: Haviland Middle School History".
- "Hyde Park Central School District: Roosevelt High School History".
- "National Register of Historic Places listings, January 14, 2011". National Park Service. January 14, 2011. Retrieved January 14, 2011.
- Our School. Franklin D. Roosevelt High School. Retrieved on 31 January 2008.
|This New York (state) school–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|