Franklin Township, Franklin County, Ohio
|Franklin Township, Ohio|
Location of Franklin Township in Franklin County.
|• Total||7.1 sq mi (18 km2)|
|• Land||7.0 sq mi (18 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||804 ft (245 m)|
|• Density||1,400/sq mi (560/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086102|
Franklin Township is one of the seventeen townships of Franklin County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 10,271 people in the township, 9,651 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in west central Franklin County, the township consists of many small "islands" separated from each other by municipal annexations. With few exceptions, these islands are completely surrounded by the city of Columbus. Some southern islands border Jackson Township, while a large island in the west borders Prairie Township.
Most of what was originally Franklin Township has been annexed by the city of Columbus, the county seat of Franklin County. Other parts are now incorporated into the city of Grandview Heights in the northwest, the village of Marble Cliff in the north, and the village of Valleyview in the south.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for County Subdivisions". U.S. Census Bureau, Geography Division. 2 February 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population and Household Counts for Governmental Units: 2010, 2000, 1990". Ohio Department of Development. August 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 206. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- "Facts & Figures" (Archive). Hilliard City School District. Retrieved on June 14, 2014.