Franz Boll (philologist)
|Franz Boll (philologist)|
July 1, 1867|
Rothenburg ob der Tauber
|Died||July 3, 1924
Franz Boll (1867–1924) was a German scholar and contemporary of Cumont. He became Professor of Classical Philology at the University of Heidelberg.
He is known for his editorial and biographical work on Claudius Ptolemy. He also wrote on astrology. He is quoted as saying "Astrology wants to be religion and science at the same time; that marks its essence", and "Mankind measures time using the stars. Lay people, whose knowledge is based on belief, rather than science, say: "The course of the stars determines Time," and from this, religious people drifts the saying that "Heaven guides everything on Earth."
Boll is also known for his claim that the Book of Revelations includes an allegorical depiction of the changes of astrological ages from the Age of Pisces to the Age of Aquarius where instead of the end of the world, the Apocalypse is really the end of an aeon. He also wrote many astrological articles and with Gundel and Bezold produced one of the best introduction to the history of astrology.
- Studien über Claudius Ptolemäus (1894)
- Sphaera (1903)
- Zenit- und Aequartorialgestirne am babylonischen Fixsternhimmel (1913) with August Kopff and Carl Bezold
- Aus der Offenbarung Johannes (1914)
- Sternglaube und Sterndeutung; Die Geschichte und das Wesen der Astrologie (1917) with Bezold; later editions with Wilhelm Gundel
- Kleine Schriften (1950) edited by Viktor Stegemann
- Astrology between religion and science (Abstract+Article) at www.rudolfhsmit.nl
- Editorial 2002 at www.paleolithicartmagazine.org
- Anna-Teresa Tymieniecka, "Astronomy and Civilization In the New Enlightenment: Passions of the Skies", Springer, 2011, p 95
- Lester Ness, "Historians of Astrology ", http://cura.free.fr/xxv/25ness.html
- Historians of Astrology - by Lester Ness (Changchun University of Technology) at cura.free.fr
- Some Modern Historians of Ancient Occidental Astral Sciences at members.optusnet.com.au
- History of Constellation and Star Names at members.optusnet.com.au