|Born||3 February 1915
|Died||9 June 1997 (aged 82)
|Years of service||1934–1945|
|Unit||5th SS Panzer Grenadier Division Wiking|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross with Oakleaves
Iron Cross 1st Class
Iron Cross 2nd Class
German Cross in Gold
Wound Badge in Black
Eastern Front Medal
Sudetenland Medal with Prague Bar
Close Combat Clasp in Gold
Franz Hack (3 February 1915 – 9 June 1997) was an Obersturmbannführer (Lieutenant Colonel) in the Waffen SS during World War II who was awarded the Knight's Cross with Oakleaves[Notes 1] and the Close Combat Clasp in Gold.
Hack was born in Mannheim, Germany on 3 February 1915. Upon joining the SS he was issued the service number 227 129, his first command was the 1st Company, Germania Regiment in 1938. He ended the war as the commander of the 10th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment Westland, 5th SS Panzer Grenadier Division Wiking. Hack died in Hamburg, Germany in June 1997.
- 4th Company, Germania
- III.(gep.)/Battalion 9th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment Germania
- 5th SS Panzer Reconnaissance Battalion
- 10th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment Westland
- The recommendation for Franz Hack's Oak Leaves to the Knight's Cross was submitted to the Heerespersonalamt by the Division sometime between 16 and 19 April 1945 and approved by the commander of the IV. SS-Korps Herbert Otto Gille. Missing is the approval from the 6. Armee and Heeresgruppe Süd. There is no indication whether the recommendation was approved. The response from the Reichsführer-SS was prepared but missing is a date and signature. The existing card is not contemporary. There is no indication in the press that the award was presented. According to Fellgiebel Hack received the Oak Leaves from SS-Obergruppenführer and General of the SS Herbert-Otto Gille, commanding general IV. SS-Panzerkorps. The sequential number "844" and date of award were assigned by the Association of Knight's Cross Recipients (AKCR).
- Scherzer 2007, pp. 136, 137.
- Berger, Florian. Ritterkreuzträger mit Nahkampfspange in Gold. Selbstverlag Florian Berger, 2004. ISBN 3-9501307-3-X.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer. Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas, 2000. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.