|Number under construction||50|
|Capacity||469 seats + 2 wheelchair|
|Maximum speed||360 km/h (220 mph) (service)
400 km/h (250 mph) (tests)
|Acceleration||> 0.7 m/s2 (2.3 ft/s2)|
|Electric system(s)||25kV 50Hz, 15kV 16.7Hz, 3kV DC, 1.5kV DC|
|Safety system(s)||ERTMS, ETCS|
|Sources: NB quoted specifications ae for unbuilt model (August 2012)|
The Frecciarossa 1000, also known as the V300 Zefiro (Bombardier) or ETR 1000 (Trenitalia) is a design of high speed train developed by Bombardier Transportation and AnsaldoBreda. 50 trainsets were ordered by Trenitalia in 2010.
History and design 
The V300 Zefiro was offered by Bombardier Transportation and AnsaldoBreda as a response to Ferrovie dello Stato's tender for 50 new high-speed trainsets; the design, a 200m long eight car non-articulated single decker train with distributed traction, was based on elements of Bombardier Transportation's Zefiro and AnsaldoBreda's V250 train designs. Initial specifications were for a train meeting European high speed technical standards, with a design commercial speed of 360 km/h, initially operated at 300 km/h, and to be tested to 400 km/h.
The Trenitalia contract was awarded to the Bombardier/Ansaldo joint-venture in August 2010, for deliverying into service in 2013. The bid was less expensive at €30.8m per train than the €35m per train cost given by the other bidder, Alstom. The contract value was €1.54bn of which Bombardier's share was €654m.
A mock up of the train (named 'Frecciarossa 1000') was unveiled at Rimini in August 2012. The train's design includes an active suspension system. The vehicles are expected to be operable on multiple European systems, with compatibility with the railway systems of Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Spain and Switzerland claimed by FS.
On the 26th March 2013 the first trainset was unveiled during a public ceremony at the Ansaldo-Breda facilities in Pistoia. The train was named Pietro Mennea (1952 - 2013), in memory of the Italian world record holder of the 200 meter track from 1979 to 1996. The train will be now instrumented to undergo extensive testing in order to be certified to operate on the Italian high speed rail network at 360 km/h (225 mph). An additional 49 trains are to be built and will gradually enter regular service starting from summer 2014.
- "FRECCIAROSSA 1000", www.fsnews.it (in Italian)
- "AnsaldoBreda and Bombardier combine to offer V300 Zefiro". Railway Gazette International. 9 June 2010.
- "Trenitalia awards contract for 50 high speed trains". Railway Gazette International. 5 August 2010.
- "Trenitalia signs V300ZEFIRO high speed train contract". 30 September 2010.
- Chiandoni, Marco (30 August 2012), "Trenitalia unveils ETR 1000 mock-up", International Railway Journal
- "Trenitalia unveils Frecciarossa 1000", www.railwaygazette.com, 20 August 2012.
- "Frecciarossa 1000: il Premier Mario Monti svela il treno AV del futuro, un gioiello made in italy", www.fsnews.it (in Italian)
- Documentation and press information "Frecciarossa 1000: il Premier Mario Monti svela il treno AV del futuro, un gioiello made in italy ( Cartelle stampa )", www.fsnews.it