|Parent company||Recommended Records|
|Distributor(s)||RēR Megacorp (UK)
RēR USA (USA)
Locus Solus (Japan)
|Genre||Rock in Opposition
|Country of origin||England|
|Location||Thornton Heath, Surrey|
|Official website||Fred Records|
Fred Records is a British independent record label created in 2002 by English guitarist, composer and improvisor Fred Frith to re-release his own back catalogue of recordings and previously unreleased material. It is an independent company working in co-operation with Chris Cutler and Recommended Records, utilising Recommended Records' distribution network.
From the mid-1980s Fred Frith released much of his music (solo and in collaboration with other musicians) on the Swiss independent record label RecRec Music. However, the label went bankrupt in 1997 after its founder, Daniel Waldner died in a mountain climbing accident in 1995. Under Swiss copyright law all the rights to Frith's music released by RecRec reverted to him, totalling 13 different titles. Having lost money in unpaid royalties, Frith wanted to re-release all the titles on a single label. In the early 2000s and with the help of Chris Cutler of Recommended Records, Frith set up his own label, Fred Records as an imprint of Recommended Records.
The new label gave Frith an opportunity to re-issue material from his archives that would have been difficult to release elsewhere. Advances in technology also enabled Frith to remaster the original recordings and produce a sound much closer to what was originally intended. In addition, Frith has released previously unreleased material by himself and in collaboration with other musicians. To create a consistent image for the label as a whole, Frith has used the artist, Tomas Kurth to illustrate the CD covers, often incorporating elements of the original LP covers in the design.
Currently the Fred Records catalogue is divided into three tributaries:
- FRO (Fred Records Original) – re-releases of Frith's previously released original material;
- FRA (Fred Records Archive) – releases of previously unreleased material from Frith's archive;
- FRFC (Fred Records French Connection) – releases of previously unreleased material from Frith's archive recorded in France.
The catalogue numbers of each release includes one of these tributary codes. For example "RēR/FRA 02" reads: "Recommended Records / Fred Records Archive #2".
These are all the titles currently released on the Fred Records label.
- Fred Frith: Gravity (2002, RēR/FRO 01)
- Fred Frith: Accidental (2002, RēR/FRA 01)
- Fred Frith: Guitar Solos (2002, RēR/FRO 02)
- Fred Frith: Prints (2002, RēR/FRA 02)
- Keep the Dog: That House We Lived In (2003, RēR/FRA 03)
- Fred Frith: Step Across the Border (2003, RēR/FRO 03)
- Fred Frith: Speechless (2003, RēR/FRO 04)
- Fred Frith: Middle of the Moment (2004, RēR/FRO 05)
- Fred Frith: Cheap at Half the Price (2004, RēR/FRO 06)
- Fred Frith: Allies (2004, RēR/FRO 07)
- Skeleton Crew: Learn to Talk / Country of Blinds (2005, RēR/FRO 8/9)
- Massacre: Killing Time (2005, RēR/FRO 10)
- Fred Frith: Impur (2006, RēR/FRFC 01)
- Fred Frith: The Happy End Problem (2006, RēR/FRA 05)
- Fred Frith: The Technology of Tears (2008, RēR/FRO 11)
- Fred Frith & John Zorn: The Art of Memory II (2008, RēR/FRA 06)
- Fred Frith: Impur II (2009, RēR/FRFC 02)
- Fred Frith: Nowhere, Sideshow, Thin Air (2009, RēR/FRA 07)
- Fred Frith: Live in Japan (2010, RēR/FRO 12)
- Recommended Records
- RecRec Music
- Chris Cutler
- Fred Frith
- List of record labels
- List of independent UK record labels
- "Recommended Records, Zürich (RecRec)". Border Music. Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- Frith, Fred. "Fred Records". Fred Frith's homepage. Retrieved 2007-01-25.
- "Interview with Fred Frith". BBC Music. Archived from the original on 2006-02-15. Retrieved 2007-01-25.
- Frith, Fred. "Fred Records releases". Fred Frith's homepage. Retrieved 2007-01-25.
- "FRITH, FRED: Impur part II". ReR Megacorp. Retrieved 2009-09-11.
- "FRITH, FRED: Nowhere . Sideshow . Thin Air". ReR Megacorp. Retrieved 2009-09-11.
- "FRITH, FRED: Live in Japan". ReR Megacorp. Retrieved 2010-10-13.
- Fred Frith home page.
- Fred Records
- RēR Megacorp. Recommended Records UK.
- Locus Solus. Recommended Records Japan.
- RēR USA. Recommended Records USA.