|Frederick 'Fred' W. Strahorn|
|Strahorn in 2010|
|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives
from the 39th district
January 7, 2013
|Preceded by||Clayton Luckie|
January 3, 2001 – December 31, 2008
|Preceded by||Tom Roberts|
|Succeeded by||Roland Winburn|
|Member of the Ohio Senate
from the 5th district
March 31, 2009 – December 31, 2010
|Preceded by||Tom Roberts|
|Succeeded by||Bill Beagle|
March 20, 1965 |
|Alma mater||Ohio State University|
|Profession||Real estate broker|
Frederick 'Fred' W. Strahorn (born March 20, 1965) is a Democratic politician who serves in the Ohio House of Representatives, representing the 39th District, which consists of much of Dayton, Ohio. He is the Minority Leader for the 131st Ohio General Assembly.
Life and career
Strahorn served as a member of the Wright State University Board of Trustee; a position that ended in 2013. He graduated with a B.A. in aviation management from Ohio State University. He previously attended the Sinclair Community College and the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. He is single. and has one daughter.
trahorn won his election to the Ohio House of Representatives in 2000 and was re-elected in 2002, 2004 and 2006. Strahorn was term limited out of running again in his previous district, but chose to run for election in a different district in 2012. In 2009, Strahorn was appointed to the Ohio Senate to replace Tom Roberts, who had been appointed to the Ohio Civil Rights Commission, but lost election to a full term to Republican Bill Beagle.
Return to the Ohio House of Representatives
First elected in November 2012, Strahorn defeated his opponent, Jeffrey Wellbaum, with over 80 % of the vote in a traditionally Democratic district. The two competed to fill the position that had been vacated in January 2013 by Clayton Luckie, who had earlier announced his withdrawal from the election following the news that he was being investigated on criminal charges.
Strahorn soundly won re-election in 2014 with over 75% of the vote in his overwhelmingly Democratic district and was one of only a very Democrats elected to an Ohio House position during that midterm election. His opponents were Jeff Dalton, Republican, and William Pace, an independent perennial candidate.
On November 18, 2014, Strahorn was elected to lead Ohio's House Democrats in the coming year. Strahorn stated that he would work on trying to make clear the Democratic Party's message to voters, commenting "I know that we have work to do with the general public with communicating what our party really stands for."
- Borchardt, Jackie (January 7, 2013). "Ohio lawmakers sworn in for General Assembly". JournalNews. Retrieved January 14, 2013.
- VoteSmart - Fred Strahorn
- Wright State University Board of Trustees - Fred Strahorn
- Progress Ohio blog
- Bischoff, Laura (December 20, 2012). "State Rep. Luckie Had to Face Trial on 22 January 2012". Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- "County Commission race a squeaker, Beagle wins, AP says". Dayton Daily News. November 4, 2014. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- "Election Insider - Your Vote 2014 (Summary of poll results)". Dayton Daily News. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- Bischoff, Laura (November 18, 2014). "Strahorn picked to lead Ohio House Democrats". Dayton Daily News. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Fred Strahorn - The Ohio House of Representatives
- Ballotpedia - Fred Strahorn
- Ohio Votes - Fred Strahorn