Fred Turner (author)
Fred Turner is an Associate Professor at Stanford University in the Department of Communication and the author of three books:
- The Democratic Surround: Multimedia and American Liberalism from World War II to the Psychedelic Sixties (2013) ISBN 9780226817460
- From Counterculture to Cyberculture: Stewart Brand, the Whole Earth Network and the Rise of Digital Utopianism (2006) ISBN 9780226817415
- Echoes of Combat: Trauma, Memory, and the Vietnam War (Echoes of Combat: The Vietnam War in American Memory in 1996; revised 2nd ed. with new title 2001)
Before joining Stanford, Turner taught Communication at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He earned a B.A. in English and American Literature from Brown University an M.A. in English from Columbia University, and a Ph.D.(2002) in Communication from the University of California, San Diego.
- Personal Page of Fred Turner
- New York Times review of "From Counterculture to Cyberculture...
- The introduction to From Counterculture to Cyberculture
- An excerpt from The Democratic Surround