Freda Dudley Ward
|Freda Dudley Ward|
|Born||Winifred May Birkin
28 July 1894
|Died||16 March 1983(aged 88)|
|Residence||St Johns Wood, London|
|Other names||Freda Birkin|
|Known for||mistress of the Prince of Wales (1918–23)|
|Title||Marquesa de Casa Maury|
|Spouse(s)||William Dudley Ward (1913–31)
Pedro Jose Isidro Manuel Ricardo Mones (1937–54)
|Children||Penelope Ann Rachel Dudley Ward
Claire Angela Louise Dudley Ward
|Parent(s)||Colonel Charles Wilfred Birkin & Claire Lloyd Howe|
Winifred May, Marquesa de Casa Maury (28 July 1894 – 16 March 1983), universally known by her first married name as Freda Dudley Ward, was an English socialite best known for being a mistress of the Prince of Wales, who later became King Edward VIII.
Winifred 'Freda' May Birkin was the second child and eldest of three daughters of British Colonel Charles Wilfred Birkin (fourth son of a lace embroidery and tableware magnate of Nottingham, Sir Thomas Isaac Birkin) and his wife Claire Lloyd Birkin née Howe, from the United States. She was the mistress of the Prince of Wales from 1918 to 1923, after which she remained his close confidante until 1934 and the beginning of his relationship with Wallis Simpson.
'Freda' Birkin married:
- 9 July 1913 to Rt. Hon. William Dudley Ward, Liberal MP for Southampton. They had two daughters. Her first husband's family surname was Ward but with Dudley became their official surname through common usage. Their divorce took place on the ground of adultery in 1931.
- 20 October 1937 to Pedro Jose Isidro Manuel Ricardo Mones, Marques de Casa Maury. From 1938, the couple took up residence in St Johns Wood, London, at 58 Hamilton Terrace, which they commissioned from the architects Burnet, Tait & Lorne. They divorced in 1954.
- Penelope Ann Rachel Dudley Ward (1914–1982), the actress Penelope Dudley-Ward, later Lady Reed, known as Pempie, who married firstly in 1939 (divorced 1944) Anthony Pelissier, by whom she had a daughter, and secondly in 1948 film director Sir Carol Reed, by whom she had a son shown below.
- Claire Angela Louise Dudley Ward (1916–1999) later Lady Laycock, or Angie, who married in 1935 the commando leader Major-General Sir Robert Laycock, by whom she had two sons and three daughters. Of her five children, her son:
- Anonymous. Obituary for her cousin Bindy Lambton, or the former Countess of Durham, published in The Daily Telegraph on 18 February 2003. 
- Lundy, Darryl (15 March 2005). "Colonel Charles Wilfred Birkin and his wife". The Peerage.[unreliable source?]
- Philip Ziegler King Edward VIII: The Official Biography (Collins, London, 1990) pp. 94–100.
- "House for Marques and Marquesa de Casa Maury". Dictionary of Scottish Architects. Retrieved 20 November 2008.
- Lundy, Darryl (11 September 2006). "Penelope Ann Rachel Ward.". The Peerage.[unreliable source?]
- Information on death date from Lundy, Darryl. "The Peerage database". The Peerage.[unreliable source?], retrieved 14 December 2007.
- Lundy, Darryl. "Lady Clare Angela Louise Ward". The Peerage.[unreliable source?], mistitled because she was Lady Laycock, but not Lady Clare Angela Louise Ward as daughter of an earl. Last edited 21 January 2006.
- Burke's Peerage and Baronetage 107th Edition Volume III Burke's Peerage – Preview Family Record at www.burkes-peerage.net]
- King of Fools by John Parker 
- Lundy, Darryl. "The Peerage database". The Peerage.[unreliable source?]
- Media related to Freda Dudley Ward at Wikimedia Commons