Sir Frederic William Lang (1852 – 5 March 1937) was a New Zealand politician, initially an independent conservative, then from 1914 a member of the Reform Party. He was the eighth Speaker of the House of Representatives, from 1913 to 1922.
Lang was born in Blackheath, Kent, England in 1852. He emigrated to New Zealand as a young man and settled in Tuhikaramea near present-day Temple View. He played football and represented the Auckland Province. He never married.
|Parliament of New Zealand|
He was the Member of Parliament for Waipa from 1893 to 1896; then Waikato from 1896 to 1905 when he was defeated; then Manukau from 6 December 1906 until 1922, when he was defeated. He was Chairman of Committees from 1912 to 1913. He then became Speaker of the House of Representatives from 1913 to 1922.
In 1913 as speaker, in response to filibusting by Apirana Ngata, Lang introduced a rule that MPs who could speak in English must not speak te reo Māori and by 1920 Parliament no longer employed translators. The situation was reversed in the 1980s with the Māori Renaissance and the Maori Language Act 1987.
- "Sir Frederic Lang". The Evening Post. CXXIII (54). 5 March 1937. p. 10. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- Wilson 1985, p. 211.
- Wilson 1985, p. 252.
- Wilson 1985, p. 250.
- "Launch of Simultaneous Interpretation in the House". New Zealand Parliament. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- Wilson 1985, p. 157.
- "Official jubilee medals". The Evening Post. 6 May 1935. p. 4. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Deaths". Auckland Star. 5 March 1937. p. 1. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Scholefield, Guy, ed. (1925) [First published in 1908]. Who's who in New Zealand and the western Pacific (2nd ed.). Masterton: Guy Scholefield.
- Wilson, James Oakley (1985) [First published in 1913]. New Zealand Parliamentary Record, 1840–1984 (4th ed.). Wellington: V.R. Ward, Govt. Printer. OCLC 154283103.
- Wood, G. A. (1996) [First published in 1987]. Ministers and Members in the New Zealand Parliament (2nd ed.). Dunedin: University of Otago Press. pp. 95, 114. ISBN 1-877133-00-0.
|Chairman of Committees of the House of Representatives
|Speaker of the New Zealand House of Representatives
|New Zealand Parliament|
|Member of Parliament for Waikato