Frederick Albert, Prince of Anhalt-Bernburg
|Prince of Anhalt-Bernburg|
|Prince of Anhalt-Bernburg|
|Reign||18 May 1765–9 April 1796|
|Successor||Alexius Frederick Christian|
|Spouse(s)||Princess Louise Albertine of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Plön|
IssueAlexius Frederick Christian, Duke of Anhalt-Bernburg
Pauline, Princess of Lippe-Detmold
German: Friedrich Albrecht
|Noble family||House of Ascania|
|Father||Victor Frederick, Prince of Anhalt-Bernburg|
|Mother||Albertine of Brandenburg-Schwedt|
15 August 1735|
Bernburg, Anhalt, Holy Roman Empire
|Died||9 April 1796
Ballenstedt, Anhalt, Holy Roman Empire
Frederick Albert was born in Bernburg on 15 August 1735 as the only son of Victor Frederick, Prince of Anhalt-Bernburg, by his second wife Sophie Albertine Fredericka, daughter of Margrave Albert Frederick of Brandenburg-Schwedt.
On 22 December 1785 he confirmed the entrance of his state into the Fürstenbund.
In 1788 a classical theater was built under his orders. He was considered as "Father of the Country" by the citizens of his principality, primarily for his good works: one of his reforms was to give women legal influence over their inheritance. Frederick Albert was also the founder of the Anhaltische Mineraliensammlung.
He died at Ballenstedt on 9 April 1796. It is unclear whether he died as a result of a hunting accident, or if he committed suicide.
Marriage and issue
In Augustenburg on 4 June 1763 Frederick Albert married Louise Albertine (b. Plön, 21 July 1748 - d. Ballenstedt, 2 March 1769), daughter of Frederick Carl, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Plön and a princess of Denmark by birth as a descendant in the male line of King Christian III. They had two children:
- Alexius Frederick Christian, Prince and from 1807 Duke of Anhalt-Bernburg (b. Ballenstedt, 12 June 1767 - d. Ballenstedt, 24 March 1834).
- Pauline Christine Wilhelmine (b. Ballenstedt, 23 February 1769 - d. Detmold, 29 December 1820), married on 2 January 1796 to Leopold I, Prince of Lippe-Detmold.
Frederick Albert also had an illegitimate daughter:
- Auguste von Gröna (d. 8 April 1841), married to Hans August Baron von Bissing (d. 8 April 1841).
- This article incorporates information from the German Wikipedia.
- A political index to the histories of Great Britain and Ireland; or, A complete register of the hereditary honours, public offices, and persons in office By Robert Beatson Published by , 1806 Original from Oxford University Digitized Jul 3, 2006 Text here
- Dates by GEDbrowser
- The Blood Royal of Britain: Being a Roll of the Living Descendants of Edward IV and Henry VII, Kings of England, and James III, King of Scotland By Melville Henry Massue Ruvigny Et Raineval, Marquis of Ruvigny & Raineval Published by Genealogical Pub Co, 1994
|Prince of Anhalt-Bernburg
Alexius Frederick Christian