Frederick G. Lawrence
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010)|
Fred Lawrence (as he is popularly known) is married to Sue Lawrence. He has been running the annual Lonergan Workshop at Boston College for the last many years, and is editor of the Lonergan Workshop, which publishes the proceedings. He also convened the First and Second International Lonergan Conferences at Rome (2001) and Toronto (2004).
Having been a student of Bernard Lonergan's at the Gregorian University, Rome, he is today one of the foremost interpreters of Lonergan's thought, and an acknowledged hermeneutical philosopher in his own right.
He did his PhD on the 'unlikely topic' of the hermeneutical circle in the thought of Gadamer and Lonergan. The thesis had the unique distinction of being appreciated by both thinkers. Unfortunately, it has still to be published, though a copy is available at the Lonergan Centre, Boston College, and in microfilm.
He was a personal friend of both Gadamer and Lonergan, and upon his invitation, Gadamer came several semesters to Boston College.
In 2007, 6–8 September, a conference on "Hermeneutics, Postmodernism, Relativism" was held in honour of Fred Lawrence at Divyadaan: Salesian Institute of Philosophy, Nashik, India. Lawrence was scheduled to participate, but in the end could not for reasons of health; he, however, did contribute four papers outlining the contributions of Heidegger, Gadamer and Lonergan to the twentieth century hermeneutic revolution. The papers were published by Divyadaan: Journal of Philosophy and Education.
- Arthur Madigan, “Catholic Philosophers in the U.S.,” The Sheed & Ward Anthology of Catholic Philosophy, ed. James C. Swindal and Harry J. Gensler, SJ. (Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2005) 556-7.
- B. Lonergan, "A Requested Review of the Writings of Frederick Lawrence," Divyadaan: Journal of Philosophy and Education 19/1-2 (2008) 269-282.
- See, for example, the papers published in The Beginning and the Beyond. Papers from the Gadamer and Voegelin Conferences, Supplementary Issue of Lonergan Workshop 4: v-vi, ed. Fred Lawrence (Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1984).
- See Divyadaan: Journal of Philosophy and Education 19/1-2 (2008): Hermeneutics, Postmodernism, Relativism: Conference in Honour of Fred Lawrence, Divyadaan, Nashik - India, 6–8 September 2007.
- Coelho, Ivo. “Hermeneutics as a Return to the Concrete: Fred Lawrence’s Meditations on Heidegger, Gadamer and Lonergan.” Divyadaan: Journal of Philosophy and Education 19/1-2 (2008) 235-268.