Frederick III, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (September 2012)|
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg|
|Spouse||Luise Dorothea of Saxe-Meiningen|
|Frederick, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg
Princess Fredericka Luise
|House||House of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg|
|Father||Frederick II, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg|
|Mother||Magdalene Augusta of Anhalt-Zerbst|
14 April 1699|
|Died||10 March 1772
Frederick III, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (Gotha, 14 April 1699 – Gotha, 10 March 1772), was a duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg.
After the death of his father, in 1732, Frederick III assumed the duchy of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg.
In 1734 he began a flourishing soldier trade with the Emperor, to the Prince of Waldeck and to the King of Prussia, which put him into the position to create a tax in his own duchy. The duchy had to suffer for Frederick with difficulty in the Seven Years War and he forced the duchy into a war with his neighbour, duke Anton Ulrich of Saxe-Meiningen (The "Wasunger War").
In Gotha on 17 September 1729, Frederick married Luise Dorothea of Saxe-Meiningen, his first cousin. They had nine children:
- Frederick (b. Gotha, 20 January 1735 – d. Gotha, 9 June 1756).
- Ludwig (b. Gotha, 25 October 1735 – d. Gotha, 26 October 1735).
- stillborn son (Gotha, 25 October 1735), twin of Ludwig.
- stillborn twin sons (1739).
- Fredericka Luise (b. Gotha, 30 January 1741 – d. Gotha, 5 February 1776).
- Ernst II, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (b. Gotha, 30 January 1745 – d. Gotha, 20 April 1804).
- Sophie (b. Gotha, 9 March 1746 – d. Gotha, 30 March 1746).
- August (b. Gotha, 14 August 1747 – d. Gotha, 28 September 1806).
From 1748 to 1755 he was regent of the duchy of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach on behalf of Ernst August II Konstantin. From 1750, he acted as regent alongside with his kinsmen Franz Josias, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Frederick III, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg.|
Frederick III, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-AltenburgBorn: 14 April 1699 Died: 10 March 1772
|Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg