|46th Mayor of Boston, Massachusetts|
|Preceded by||James Michael Curley|
|Succeeded by||Maurice J. Tobin|
|38th Treasurer and Receiver-General of Massachusetts|
|Preceded by||Elmer A. Stevens|
|Succeeded by||Charles L. Burrill|
|Born||March 26, 1877
East Boston, Massachusetts
|Died||November 6, 1958
|Resting place||Holyhood Cemetery in Brookline, Massachusetts|
|Spouse(s)||Helen Elizabeth Roe (June 29, 1904)|
|Children||Walter R. Mansfield|
|Alma mater||Boston University School of Law|
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
|Years of service||1898|
|Battles/wars||Spanish American War|
Mansfield served as an apothecary in the U.S. Navy on the USS Vulcan during the Spanish American War. After working as a pharmacist, Mansfield was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar in 1902  he worked as an Attorney.
Mansfield was the Mayor of Boston from 1934 to 1938.
- Timeline of Boston, 1930s
- Hennessy, Michael Edmund (1917), Twenty-five Years of Massachusetts Politics: from Russell to McCall, 1890-1915, Boston, Ma: Practical Politics, p. 349.
- Marquis, Albert Nelson (1915), Who's who in New England, Chicago, IL: University Press of New England, p. 718
- Beaver Valley Times (November 12, 1958), Last of City Political Bosses Dies, Beaver, PA: The Beaver Valley Times, p. 2.
- New York Times (November 7, 1958), F. W. MANSFIELD, CURLEY FOE, DIES; Ex-Mayor of Boston Served 1933-37--Lawyer Aided Catholic Archdiocese, New York, NY: The New York Times, p. 28.
- O'Connor, Thomas H. (1998), Boston Catholics: A History of the Church and Its People, Lebanon, New Hampshire: University Press of New England, p. 231, ISBN 1-55553-359-0
- Coolidge, Henry D. (1915), A Manual for the Use of the General Court, Boston, MA: Massachusetts General Court, p. 426.
- Hevesi, Dennis (January 8, 1987), William R. Mansfield, Federal Judge is Dead at 75, New York, NY: The New York Times.
- Walter R. Mansfield, at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges (accessed January 22, 2009).
- Hevesi, Dennis.: William R. Mansfield, Federal Judge is Dead at 75, New York Times (January 8, 1987).
Elmer A. Stevens
|Treasurer and Receiver General,
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Charles L. Burrill
James Michael Curley
|Mayor of Boston, Massachusetts