Frederick Orpen Bower
|Frederick Orpen Bower|
|Born||4 November 1855|
|Died||11 April 1948|
|Notable awards||Linnean Medal (1909)
Royal Medal (1910)
Fellow of the Royal Society
|Author abbrev. (botany)||Bower|
Prof Frederick Orpen Bower FRS (4 November 1855 – 11 April 1948) was a British botanist. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1891. He was awarded the Gold Medal of the Linnean Society in 1909 and the Darwin Medal of the Royal Society in 1938. He was president of the British Association in 1929–1930.
Bower was born in Ripon in Yorkshire the son of Abraham Bower and Cornelia Morris, sister of the eminent botanist, Francis Orpen Morris. He was educated at Repton School in Derbyshire before studying at Trinity College, Cambridge where he graduated MA in 1877.
In 1880 he acquired a position as assistant lecturer in Botany at University College, London under Prof Thomas Huxley. In 1882 he moved to South Kensington as a full Lecturer in Botany. During this time he spent time at Kew Gardens studying with Dukinfield Henry Scott. In 1885 he was awarded the chair in Botany at Glasgow University and was a Professor there until 1925.
He never married and returned to Ripon upon retiral, dying there in April 1948.
- Practical Botany for Beginners (1894)
- The Origin of Land Flora (1908)
- Plant Life of Land (1911)
- The Ferns 3 vols. (1923-28)
- Plants and Man (1925)
- Size and Form in Plants (1930)
- Primitive Land Plants (1935)
- Sixty Years of Botany in Britain, 1875-1935 (1938)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (1886)
- Fellow of the Royal Society (1891)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Belgium
- Fellow of the Academy of Science of Munich
- Fellow of the Royal Danish Society
The archives for Frederick Orpen Bower are maintained by the Archives of the University of Glasgow (GUAS).
- Lang, W. H. (1949). "Fredrick Orpen Bower. 1855-1948". Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 6 (18): 346. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1949.0002. JSTOR 768929.
- W. H. Lang, ‘Bower, Frederick Orpen (1855–1948)’, rev. Thomas Junker, "The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography". 2004. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/31999.
- Presidential Address to the British Association Meeting, held at Bristol in 1930
- "Author Query for 'Bower'". International Plant Names Index.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
Frederick Orpen Bower
- NAHSTE: Papers of Frederick Orpen Bower at www.nahste.ac.uk
|This article about a British botanist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|