Fredrik Engelstad (born 12 March 1944) is a Norwegian sociologist. He has written several books.
He is the son of writer Carl Fredrik Engelstad and physician Vibeke Engelstad, and a nephew of archivist Sigurd Engelstad. He is married to professor Irene Johnson.
Engelstad earned the dr.philos. degree in 1989. He was an Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Oslo from 1991 to 2007, and has been a Professor since 2008. He was a research director at the Norwegian Institute for Social Research from 1986 to 2007, and has been the director of the Institute for Social Research since 1997.
He has been a Visiting Fellow at Yale University (1981), the University of California, Berkeley (1993), the University of Chicago (1996) and the Northwestern University (2006).
- Fredrik Engelstad, ed. (1999) Om makt. Teori og kritikk. Oslo: AdNotam Gyldendal
- Fredrik Engelstad, Carl Erik Grenness, Ragnvald Kalleberg and Raino Malnes (1998), Samfunn og vitenskap. Oslo: AdNotam Gyldendal
- Fredrik Engelstad (1992), Kjærlighetens irrganger. Sinn og samfunn i Bjørnsons og Ibsens diktning. Oslo: Gyldendal
- Fredrik Engelstad (1990), Likhet og styring. Deltakerdemokratiet på prøve. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget
- Dag Østerberg and Fredrik Engelstad (1992), Samfunnsformasjonen. 3. edition. Oslo: Pax