Free Egyptians Party
|The Free Egyptians Party
حزب المصريين الأحرار
|Chairman||Ahmed Hassan Said|
|Slogan||Party For All Egyptians
(Arabic: حزب لكل المصريين)
|Founded||3 April 2011|
|Headquarters||2 Hassan Sabry Street Zamalek-Cairo|
|National affiliation||National Front for Salvation of the Revolution|
|Regional affiliation||Arab Alliance for Freedom and Democracy|
|Colors||Red, white and black|
|Politics of Egypt
The Free Egyptians Party (Arabic: حزب المصريين الأحرار Ḥizb Al-Maṣrīyīn Al-Aḥrār, [ħezb el mɑsˤɾejˈjiːn el ʔɑħˈɾˤɑːɾˤ]) is an Egyptian liberal party, founded after the 2011 Egyptian revolution. It supports the principles of a liberal, democratic, and secular political order in post-Mubarak Egypt.
On 3 April 2011, the engineer and business tycoon Naguib Sawiris, an Egyptian Copt, and a group of intellectuals and political activists announced the establishment of the party and declared the program, the objectives and the basic principles of the party. Other prominent party members include the Egyptian American scientist Farouk El-Baz, the Egyptian Arabic poet Ahmed Fouad Negm, the writer Gamal El-Ghitani, and the telecommunications entrepreneur Khaled Bichara.
In July 2011, infighting emerged within the party. An internal faction called the "Group of 17" accused the national leadership of undemocratic methods in choosing local leaders in the Damietta Governorate and of tolerating former members of the National Democratic Party, the ruling party of the toppled Mubarak regime, to join the ranks of the Free Egyptians Party. Five of the dissidents have been excluded from the party, and have been denoted as "troublemakers" by party officials.
- Al-Masriyeen al-Ahrrar (Free Egyptians Party), Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, retrieved 16 December 2013
- Liberal Egyptian party secures 100,000 members, Reuters, 25 August 2011, retrieved 16 December 2013
- "Free Egyptians party sacks five 'troublemakers'", Ahram Online, 17 July 2011, retrieved 16 December 2013
- نص عبد القادر خيشي. "حزب "المصريين الأحرار" يرفع شعار العلمانية بزعامة الملياردير نجيب ساويرس - France - فرانس24". France24.com 16 December 2013.
- "Profile: Egypt's National Salvation Front". BBC. 10 December 2012. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Farouk El-Baz joins Free Egyptians Party", Ahram Online, 20 Apr 2011, retrieved 16 December 2013
- Afify, Heba (4 April 2011), "Naguib Sawiris launches liberal 'Free Egyptians Party'", Egypt Independent, retrieved 16 December 2013
- Official website of the Free Egyptians Party (in Arabic)