Free Flying Soul
|Free Flying Soul|
|Studio album by The Choir|
|Released||May 1, 1996|
Berry Hill, Tennessee, 1996
|The Choir chronology|
- "Salamander" (Music by Daugherty, Hindalong) – 3:24
- "Polar Boy" (Music by Daugherty, Tim Chandler, Hindalong) – 4:34
- "Sled Dog" (Music by Daugherty, Hindalong, Chandler) – 3:00
- "Away With The Swine" – 3:01
- "The Ocean" – 4:16
- "If You're Listening" – 5:40
- "The Chicken" (Music by Chandler, Daugherty, Hindalong) – 6:26
- "Slow Spin" (Music by Chandler, Hindalong) – 1:48
- "Leprechaun" (Music by Chandler, Hindalong) – 2:47
- "Yellow-Haired Monkeys" (Music by Daugherty, Hindalong) – 1:29
- "Butterfly" – 4:05
- "The Warbler" (Music by Hindalong) – 4:07
"The Chicken" begins and ends with excerpts (performed very unmelodically, particularly at the end) of an old hymn, "Love Lifted Me".
Tim Chandler is credited with writing one word of the lyrics to "Leprechaun" ("chlorophyll"). Wayne Everett is credited with writing a few words of the lyrics to "The Warbler".
- Derri Daugherty - Lead vocals, guitars
- Steve Hindalong - Drums, percussion, lead vocal on "Slow Spin"
- Tim Chandler - Bass guitar, guitars
- Dan Michaels - lyricon
(Note: Michaels does not actually appear on the album at all, except to play a lyricon part on "Salamander".)
- Wayne Everett - Bongos, hand claps
- Scott Pearson - Hand claps
- Jenny Gullen - Background vocals
- Marc Byrd - Background vocals
- Phil Madeira - Chamberlain strings, flutes
- Jerry Chamberlain - Background vocals
- Sharon McCall - Background vocals
- Producers - Steve Hindalong, Derri Daugherty
- Engineers - Daugherty, Skye McCaskey
- Mixers - Paul Salvo at Scrimshaw Sound, except "The Ocean" and "Slow Spin" mixed by Daugherty at Neverland Studios
- Inspiration and additional production - Tim Chandler and Wayne Everett
- Cover and creature photos - Norman Jean Roy. The flying creature on the cover of the album was brought on tour with the band, and it hung inside Steve Hindalong's bass drum.
- Art direction and design - Jim Dantzler at Flywheel Design
- Art coordination - Dan Michaels
- Styling and creature hunt - Gina Gigglio
- Clock photo - Michaels. The cat clock featured in the inner booklet is Dan Michaels' own.
Awards and nominations
- Best Modern Rock Album (winner) - 1996 Dove Awards
- Brown, Bruce A. (April 1996). "Reviews / Free Flying Soul". CCM Magazine 18 (10): 72.