(subsidiary of Iliad)
|Founded||24 July 2007|
Number of employees
|1,638 (as of January 2012)|
Free Mobile is a French mobile broadband company, part of the Iliad group, that provides wireless services to 9 million subscribers as of August 2014. It is the fourth mobile network company to obtain a metropolitan French national 3G license and was granted in 2011 a 4G license in the 2.6 GHz frequency band.
The first 3G licenses were awarded to France Telecom (now Orange) in 2000, SFR in 2000 and Bouygues Telecom in 2002. Free Mobile application has been agreed by French regulatory authority ARCEP on 17 December 2009. The license price is 240 million euros  for two 5 MHz duplex bands in the 2100 MHz and 900 MHz frequency bands.
Free Mobile has for legal obligation to cover 27% of the French population by January 2012, 75% by January 2015 and 90% by January 2018.
Free Mobile was already covering 30% of the French population in November 2011. A 3G roaming agreement with Orange enables communications channeled through Orange's network, which covers about 98%  of the French metropolitan population according to ARCEP.
Free Mobile was covering 37.3% of the French population in July 2012. Xavier Niel announced its network was covering 50% in January 2013. ARCEP confirmed that Free Mobile covered 78 % of the population in January 2015.
An estimated 16,000 antennas, depending on the frequencies, are required to cover the whole French metropolitan area. Free Mobile operates roughly 6,100 antennas as of May 2015.
ARCEP confirmed that Free covers enough of the country to open commercially and start using its roaming agreement with Orange. For the few first years Free will pay Orange to get a full national coverage, for the roaming license agreement as it arrived late to the mobile market.
Free Mobile launched its two offers on 10 January 2012. Both offers are without commitment and without subsidized phones.
Free Mobile obtained a 4G license on 22 September 2011 for 271 million euros  for a duplex 20 MHz band in the 2600 MHz frequency band. It failed to obtain further bands in the 800 MHz frequency band.
Additional frequency bands
Free Mobile has been granted 15 MHz duplex bands in the 1800 MHz frequency band. 5 MHz will be available on 1 January 2015 and the remaining 10 MHz on 25 may 2016.
Free Mobile launched its two offers on 10 January 2012. The number of customers rose quickly in Q1 2012 and again in Q4 2012, after Free Mobile upgraded its €2.00 offer (from one hour/60 SMS to two hours/unlimited SMS) on 6 December 2012.
|End of Q1 2012||
|End of Q2 2012||
|End of Q3 2012||
|End of Q4 2012||
5,205,000(8% market share)
|End of Q1 2013||
|End of Q2 2013||
|End of Q3 2013||
|End of Q4 2013||
8,040,000(12% market share)
|End of Q1 2014||
|End of Q2 2014||
|End of Q3 2014||
|End of Q4 2014||
10,105,000(15% market share)
|End of Q1 2015||
Free Mobile reached 5,205,000 customers, an 8% market share, in its first year.  (Compared to 27.0 millions mobile customers for Orange, 20.7 millions for SFR and 11.3 millions for Bouygues Télécom.) 
Free Mobile currently holds a 15% market share. Its long-term goal is a 25% market share.
Free Mobile uses the following frequency bands:
|Frequency bands||Free Mobile|
|900 MHz||5 MHz duplex bands|
|1800 MHz||15 MHz duplex bands|
|2100 MHz||5 MHz duplex bands|
|2600 MHz||20 MHz duplex bands|
An "unlimited" mobile phone package for €19.99 with calls included to 100 countries, texts, multimedia messages and internet. The price will be reduced to only €15.99 for those who already use Free for home internet. There will be no obligation to sign up for a set period.
Another package for €2.00 with two hours of calls and unlimited SMS that will be free to people who use Free for home internet.
- "ARCEP accepts Free Mobile’s application". ARCEP. 18 December 2009. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- "Iliad To Be France's Fourth Mobile Operator". The Wall Street Journal. 18 December 2009. Retrieved 10 January 2010.[dead link]
- Free Mobile and Orange sign a 2G roaming agreement and agree to extend this to 3G networks
- "Free mobile network coverage in November 2011". PCInpact. 17 November 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "Couverture 3G 2011 en France". PCImpact. 9 January 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- (French)Free Mobile couvrait 37,3 % de la population au 1er juillet 2012
- (French)Free Mobile couvre 50 % de la population en 3G et parle de l'itinérance en 4G
- (French)Free Mobile couvre 78% de la population en 3G, l'Arcep confirme.
- (French)Antennes Mobiles
- Iliad launches mobile service with aggressive offers
- (French)4G : les fréquences de Free, Orange, Bouygues et SFR dévoilées
- Bande 800 MHz (4G) : SFR obtient deux blocs, Free Mobile aucun
- (French)1800 MHz : l’ARCEP attribue à Free Mobile un bloc de 5 MHz
- 2012: Free revolutionises mobile telephony - Group posts record growth
- (French)Abonnés Free mobile: 5,2 millions de clients un an après le lancement
- "‘Unlimited’ mobile service for €19.99". The Connexion France. 10 January 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.