|Developer(s)||SOE San Diego|
|Publisher(s)||Sony Online Entertainment|
April 28, 2009
March 29, 2011
November 2, 2010
|Genre(s)||Massively multiplayer online adventure game|
Free Realms is a massively multiplayer online role playing video game developed by Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) set in a fantasy-themed world, named Sacred Grove for the PC, Mac and PlayStation 3. The game was released on April 29, 2009, for the Windows PC. The game has restricted free to play up to level 5, although there is access to additional game content via a membership fee. Certain content however is available to play beyond level without the membership fee.
The game is available to download and play free of charge. The PC version is accessed via the Free Realms web site or, through game arcade sites Candy Stand or Miniclip. During character creation a 3D client downloads in the background and then streams as the user plays. This method is used when encountering any new in-game content or updates, eliminating large or long downloads. A version of FreeRealms for Mac was announced at SOE Fan Faire 2010 for release "within the next 3 months." The Mac version was released on November 2, 2010.
Free Realms offers an optional membership for a single player, allowing for 3 characters to be created per account plus other benefits such as member-only quests, jobs, and items. Only one character can be played at a time or it kicks one or the other off. but in the future, a "family" membership will be offered allowing multiple logins at the same time. Separate to memberships is the Station Cash currency which can be used for premium features across Sony Online Entertainment games (including Free Realms).
In the New York Times, Free Realms was well received. The reviewer, Seth Shiesel, noted "For Sony Online, Free Realms is a triumph of the company’s own reinvention." USA Today reviewer Marc Saltzman gave Free Realms a 4/5 score, noting "Sony Online Entertainment's Free Realms is an extraordinary online adventure that is sure to please tweens and teens looking for a fun and free fantasy world." Eurogamer gave the game a largely positive review, MMO editor Oli Welsh describing the game as "an effortlessly light and addictive indulgence". MMOHut gave the game a 4/5 and noted that "Free Realms is one of the most feature-rich free MMORPGs currently available and it’s all delivered in a beautiful package". In a review of Free Realms at USA Network's Character Arcade, David Chapman stated that the game "is a surprisingly deep game experience for a free to play model. There's never a shortage of things to do ... even if you never pay a dime to Sony." 
John Smedley, president of Sony Online Entertainment, revealed that 1 million users had signed up to Free Realms 18 days after its launch; a month after release Free Realms reached 2 million users, and registrations have continued growing at a steady rate since then. As of July 24, 2009, it had approximately 5 million registered users. Sony Online Entertainment announced in February 2010 that the game now has 8 million registered users. In April 2010, it was announced that the game has now 10 million players, with two million players signing up in March 2010.
A Free Realms comic, released for $3.99 per issue, holds twelve issues each of which contain unique one time code redeemable for an in game virtual reward. Published by DC Comics' Wildstorm, it is based on the Sony Online Entertainment MMO. The comic is written by J.S. Lewis, writer of the "Gray Griffon" series of young-adult fantasy books, with the art by Allen Martinez and Jon Buran.
The comic features Dane Kensington, an aspiring Brawler who sets out on his adventure in hopes of becoming stronger.
- "Free Realms Available on PSN March 29 – PlayStation Blog". Blog.us.playstation.com. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- Eric Caoili (March 11, 2011). "SOE's Free Realms Releasing For PS3 On March 29". Gamasutra. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "Maintenance for November 2, 2010". Forums.station.sony.com. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- Dreier, Troy (2009-04-29). "Sony Launches Free Realms Virtual World". Pcmag.com. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- Nak, Nik (2013-03=16). "Job Changes". Sony.com. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "Welcome To Free Realms". Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "Free Realms - Candystand.com".
- "Free Realms - Miniclip.com". Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- "Breaking: Free Realms Headed To PS3 And Mac In The Next 3 Months!". Freerealmsinsider.com. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- "Free Realms Available on PSN March 29". Playstation Blog US. 2011-03-11. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- Welsh, Oli (2009-02-12). "Free Realms to launch in early April News". Eurogamer. Retrieved 2009-02-12.
- "Free Realms hits PSN today with Voice Chat, Trophies". Playstation Blog US. 2011-03-29. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- "Free Realms News". SOE. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- "Free Realms Member Benefits". Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- "Free Realms - Support". Help.freerealms.com. 2013-05=30. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- "Free Realms - Support". Help.freerealms.com. Retrieved 2012-05-30.[dead link]
- "SOE". SOE.COM. 2013-09-16. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Saltzman, Marc (2009-05-21). "'Free Realms' offers world of family-friendly fun". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- Krause, Staci (2009-05-06). "Free Realms Review". IGN.com. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- Welsh, Oli (2009-05-27). "Free Realms Review". Eurogamer.
- Shiesel, Seth (2009-05-20). "Pick a Role, Any Role, Then Live Nine Lives". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- Altay, Erhan (2009-05-24). "Free Realms Game Review". MMOHut.
- Chapman, David (2010-05-19). "'Review: Free Realms (PC)". USA Network.
- MacManus, Christopher (2009-05-24). "SOE’s Free Realms Has A Million Unique Registered Users". Sony Insider. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- Martin, Matt (2009-05-27). "Free Realms hits over 2 million users". Games Industry. Retrieved 2009-06-12.
- "Free Realms hits close to the 5 million registered mark". VG247. 2009-07-24. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- Clarke, Robert (2010-02-08). "Free Realms Boasts 8 Million Registered Users". Aperture Games. Retrieved 2010-02-08.
- Mitchell, Richard (2012-05-25). "Joystiq". Gamedaily.com. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- McElroy, Griffin (2009-07-23). "Free Realms comic coming July 29, includes in-game bonuses". Joystiq. Retrieved 2012-05-30.