Freecycling, or free recycling, is the act of giving away usable unwanted items to others instead of disposing of them in landfills. This term is most often associated with online groups who run mailing lists which offer items to members at no cost.
For a period The Freecycle Network claimed they held a trademark on the word "Freecycle" and claimed the term freecycling to be a violation of their trademark rights. However they lost this claim – and rights to the "Freecycle" trademark – in United States federal court in November 2010. In her ruling Judge Callahan stated unequivocally that "Beal did not coin the word “freecycle” and TFN is not the first organization to promote freecycling" and that "even ... viewing the evidence in the light most favorable to TFN ... [they] engaged in naked licensing and consequently abandoned the trademarks."
See also 
- The Freecycle Network. Retrieved April 2009.
- Freecycle.net. Retrieved April 2009.
- Freecycling at the Open Directory Project
- The ReUseIt Network – a global network of freecycling groups
- Full Circles – a network of Canadian freecycling groups
- Find local freecycling groups at Recycling Group Finder or trash nothing!
- Any Good To You - A UK based Freecycling Site
- FreecyclePlus FreecyclePlus - The Next Generation of Freecycling