Freedom High School (Tampa, Florida)
|Freedom High School|
|17410 Commerce Park Blvd
Tampa, Florida, United States
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Home of the Patriots|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Red, White, and Blue|
|Website||Freedom High Online|
Freedom High School is a public high school located in New Tampa. It operates as a part of the Hillsborough County Public Schools district and serves students in grades 9-12. Freedom High School was named in honor of those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001.
The 2010 demographics were:
- 49.93% White, non-Hispanic
- 27.02% Hispanic
- 16.06% Black, non-Hispanic
- 4.10% Multi-Racial
- 2.38% Asian/Pacific Islander
(0.51% American Indian/Alaskan Native
- Sponsor: Sean Marcus
- Newspaper: Revolution
- Sponsor: Sean Marcus
- Web site: freedom.mysdhc.org
- Webmaster: Jeff J. Pelzer
- Yearbook: Addicted to Freedom
- Sponsor: Autum Hernandez
- Media Specialist: Sharon Schram TV: Patriot Primetime
Languages and language programs
- Bilingual: E.S.O.L.
- Foreign Language: Spanish, French, Latin, German.
Activities and programs
- Arts: Orchestra, Art, Band (Marching, Concert and Jazz), Chorus (Women's, Mixed, and Show Choir), Theatre and Photography
- Clubs: Freedom has a variety of clubs, from interest clubs to honor societies
- Computer Technology: Web Design and Computer Programming
- Culinary Arts
- Navy JROTC (Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps)
- African American Studies
- American Sign Language
- Book Club
- Café Freedom
- Engineeering Club
- French Honor Society
- German Club
- Junior Class
- Key Club
- Latin Dance Club
- Latin Honor Society
- Less Than One
- Mu Alpha Theta
- National Art Society
- National Honor Society
- Nationalist Socialist Student Association
- Science Fiction
- Senior Class
- Sophomore Class
- Spanish Honor Society
- Spirit Club Red White and Blue
- Tri-M Music Honor Society
- Cross Country (B/G)
- Football (B)
- Golf (B/G)
- Swimming (B/G)
- Volleyball (G)
- Marching Band(B/G)
- Basketball (B/G)
- Soccer (B/G)
- Wrestling (B)
- Baseball (B)
- Flag Football (G)
- Softball (G)
- Tennis (B/G)
- Track and Field (B/G)
- FHS Athletic Director: Mr. Elijah Thomas, Jr.
- FHS Athletic Secretary: Mrs. AnneMarie Gunderson
School-to-Career (technical and career training)
Agribusiness / Natural Resources, Business Technology, Marketing, Technology, Family and Consumer Sciences
Advanced Placement Courses
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science.
Comparative Politics, European History, Human Geography, Macro Economics, Micro Economics, Psychology, United States Government and Politics, United States History, World History.
Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Statistics, Computer Science A
English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition
Art / General Portfolio, French, Spanish.
Freedom High School Vision:
Freedom High School will provide a safe and caring environment with an academic focus, which will foster students' growth, responsibility and positive self-esteem to develop motivated, self-disciplined individuals who will reach their academic and career potentials. Freedom High School will provide a learning environment which will foster students' positive high school experience to develop motivated, self-disciplined individuals who will reach their academic and career potentials.
Freedom High School Mission:
Our students will excel in a challenging and diverse culture as creative, resourceful citizens of society. Students will have pride and respect in themselves, their school, their community and their country.
- 2011-2012 - B
- 2010-2011 - B
- 2009-2010 - B
- 2008-2009 - C
- 2007-2008 - A
- 2006-2007 - B
- 2005-2006 - B
- 2004-2005 - B
- 2003-2004 - B
Ratings are based on FCAT scores.
Dave Sheppard is the current principal at Freedom after Christopher Farkas, formerly from Tampa Bay Technical High School, moved to a supervisor position in 2012. Christopher Farkas was principal from 2008 to February 2012. In June, 2008, principal Richard Bartels retired. Mr. Bartels was the first principal of Freedom High School and helped to open the school in 2002.
- "Freedom High School Demographics". 'Hillsborough County Public Schools. 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- "Freedom High School || Home of the Patriots:". Freedom.mysdhc.org. 2005-08-09. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- "Freedom High School Clubs". Hillsborough County Public Schools. 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "Freedom High School Athletics". Hillsborough County Public Schools. 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- "Freedom High School". Hillsborough County Public Schools. 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- "School Accountability Report". Schoolgrades.fldoe.org. Retrieved 2012-08-15.