Freehold Regional High School District
|Freehold Regional High School District|
|Business Administrator:||Sean Boyce|
|Address:||11 Pine Street
Englishtown, NJ 07726
|Enrollment:||12,348 (as of 2010-11)|
|Faculty (in FTEs):||722.8|
|District Factor Group:||GH|
| %± vs.
|10||Operations & Maintenance||1,524||11||1,816||-16.1%|
|16||Median Teacher Salary||67,695||39||62,000|
|Data from NJDoE 2009 Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending.
*Of 7-12/9-12 districts with any number of students. Lowest spending=1; Highest=47
The Freehold Regional High School District is a public regional school district serving students in grades 9-12 from eight communities in western Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States. The district, consisting of six high schools, is the largest regional high school district in the state of New Jersey. The district serves students from Colts Neck Township, Englishtown, Farmingdale, Freehold Borough, Freehold Township, Howell Township, Manalapan Township and Marlboro Township.
Each of the six high schools is located in their respective towns: Howell High School resides in Howell Township, Manalapan High School in Manalapan Township, Marlboro High School in Marlboro Township, Colts Neck High School in Colts Neck Township, and Freehold Township High School & Freehold (Borough) High School are both in Freehold. The district holds events such as Battle of the Classes/Champions, which pits each of the six schools against each other in a series of events.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "GH", the third highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Six Specialized Learning Centers are offered to students in the district, with admission on a selective basis, covering Business Administration at Marlboro; Humanities at Howell; Contemporary Global Issues at Freehold Township; Medical Sciences at Freehold; Science and Engineering at Manalapan; and Law and Public Service at Colts Neck. The District also offers a Culinary Arts/Hospitality Management Academy and a Computer Science Academy at Freehold Boro High School; a Fine and Performing Arts Academy at Howell; a Navy Junior ROTC Character and Leadership Development Academy at Colts Neck High School; an Automotive Technology Academy and a Law Enforcement and Public Safety Academy at Manalapan High School; and Animal and Botanical Sciences at Freehold Township High School. Every effort is made to keep special education students in the district; a variety of in-class support, resource center, and self-contained programs are conducted to educate those in need of special education.
No Child Left Behind
On October 21, 2005, the New Jersey Department of Education announced that the Freehold Regional High School District had for the second consecutive year failed to meet the minimum education standards promulgated under the federal No Child Left Behind Act. If the district failed again in 2006, it would be subject to sanctions that may include requiring the district to provide students with the opportunity to attend public schools in other New Jersey school districts no later than the 2007-2008 school year.
The FRHSD announced that five of our six high schools have achieved Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) on 40 of 40 categories established by the federal No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) for 2006. The five schools are Colts Neck, Freehold, Howell, Manalapan, and Marlboro High Schools. Freehold Township High School made AYP in 39 of 40 indicators.
Attendance at each of the district's six schools is based on where the student lives in relation to the high school closest to the student. Each year, district lines are redrawn for each of the six schools to reduce issues with overcrowding and spending in regards to transportation. Schools in the district (with 2010-11 enrollment data from the National Center for Education Statistics) with their attendance zones for the class entering for the 2009-10 school year are:
- Colts Neck High School - 1,568 students from Colts Neck Township (all), Howell (part), Marlboro (part).
- Freehold High School - 1,519 students from Freehold (all) and Freehold Township (part).
- Freehold Township High School - 2,519 students from Freehold Township (part), Howell (part), Manalapan (part).
- Howell High School - 2,259 students from Farmingdale (all) and Howell (part).
- Manalapan High School - 1,947 students from Englishtown (all) and Manalapan (part).
- Marlboro High School - 2,052 students from Marlboro (part).
Effective for the entering Freshman as of the 2009-10 school year and after:
- Colts Neck to Colts Neck H.S.
- Englishtown to Manalapan H.S.
- Farmingdale to Howell H.S.
- Freehold Borough to Freehold Borough H.S.
- Freehold Township to Freehold Borough H.S. or Freehold Township H.S.
- Howell to Colts Neck H.S., Freehold Township H.S. or Howell H.S.
- Manalapan to Freehold Township H.S. or Manalapan H.S.
- Marlboro to Colts Neck H.S. or Marlboro H.S.
Specialized learning centers
- Science/Engineering - Manalapan High School
- Medical Sciences - Freehold High School
- Business Administration - Marlboro High School
- Humanities - Howell High School
- Contemporary Global Issues (formerly International Studies and Global Language and Cultures) - Freehold Township High School
- Law and Public Service - Colts Neck High School
- Law Enforcement and Public Safety Academy - Manalapan High School
- Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management Academy - Freehold High School
- Computer Science Academy - Freehold High School
- Fine and Performing Arts Academy - Howell High School
- Animal and Botanical Sciences Academy - Freehold Township High School
- Navy ROTC Character and Leadership Development Academy - Colts Neck High School
Board of education
- Ronald Lawson - President: Howell Township 1.05 vote
- Chris Placitella - Vice President: Colts Neck Township .8 vote
- Heshy Moses - Freehold Borough .8 vote
- Kathie Lavin - Farmingdale Borough .4 vote
- William Bruno - Howell Township 1.05 vote
- Jennifer Sutera - Manalapan Township 1.45 vote
- Elizabeth Canario - Englishtown Borough .4 vote
- Barry Hochberg - Marlboro Township 1.6 vote
- Tom Caiazza - Freehold Township 1.45 vote
Core members of the district's administration are:
- Bonnie Bernstein (Howell HS), ESPN Sports Reporter.
- Scott Conover, former Detroit Lions offensive tackle (1991–96)
- David DeJesus (Manalapan HS), MLB player on the Chicago Cubs
- Karl Girolamo, has a recurring role on the daytime soap As the World Turns as Kevin Davis.
- Dan Klecko (Marlboro HS), NFL football player and son of Joe Klecko.
- Danny Lewis, former NFL player
- Craig Mazin, screenwriter, director and producer
- Jim Nantz (Marlboro HS), sports commentator for CBS Sports.
- Tom Pelphrey (Howell HS), actor, Guiding Light.
- Kal Penn (Freehold Twp. and Howell HS), actor, Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, The Namesake
- Tim Perry (Freehold HS), former NBA player
- Amy Polumbo (Howell HS), Miss New Jersey, 2007
- Darrell Reid (Freehold HS), Indianapolis Colts Defensive End
- Michael "The Situation" Sorrentino (Manalapan HS), of Jersey Shore
- Gregg and Evan Spiridellis (Marlboro HS) - two brothers who launched the internet media company JibJab.
- Bruce Springsteen (Freehold HS), musician.
- Jade Yorker (Freehold HS), actor.
- District information for the Freehold Regional High Sc School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed September 23, 2012.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Kocieniewski, David; and Somothers, Ronald. "Three Students and Van Driver Die in Fiery Crash in New Jersey", The New York Times, January 11, 2007. Accessed April 25, 2008. "The deaths sent shock waves through the school, which has 1,400 students and is part of the largest school district in New Jersey."
- Freehold Regional High School District 2010 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 9, 2011. "Freehold Regional High School District, the largest regional high school district in New Jersey, has six high schools with almost 12,000 students and over 1,500 employees. Covering over 200 square miles, the district encompasses eight socio-economically and ethnically diverse communities. District members include the townships of Colts Neck, Freehold, Howell, Manalapan, and Marlboro, and the boroughs of Englishtown, Farmingdale, and Freehold."
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 27, 2009.
- Data for the Freehold Regional High School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed September 23, 2012.
- FRHSD Attendance Boundary Changes Effective 2009 - 2010 School Year, Freehold Regional School District. Accessed June 27, 2011.
- Manalapan High School 2011 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed September 23, 2012. "Manalapan High School is a fully-accredited comprehensive high school serving a community of nearly 39,000 residents living in the Township of Manalapan and the Borough of Englishtown."
- Monmouth County School Directory, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 5, 2009.
- Office of the Superintendent of Schools, Freehold Regional High School District. Accessed June 9, 2011.
- Business Administration, Freehold Regional High School District. Accessed June 9, 2011.
- Board of Education Appoints Charles Sampson As New Superintendent of Schools, Freehold Regional High School District. Accessed February 26, 2011.
- Dear FRHSD Community Members..., Sampson, Charles, Freehold Regional High School District (http://www.frhsd.com), June 7, 2011. Accessed June 7, 2011.
- Down Memory Lane. Farmingdale News Transcript, September 20, 2006.
- Scott Conover at databaseFootball.com
- Freehold High's honor roll: Tim, Bruce, Danny, Asbury Park Press, December 16, 1999
- Seven Minutes With Kevin, Soap Opera Digest, accessed December 19, 2006. "I'm originally from Staten Island, NY, and then I moved to Howell, NJ, when I was 12 years old. I went to Howell High School and took acting classes there. "
- Indianapolis Colts player profile: Dan Klecko - Defensive Tackle, accessed November 29, 2006
- Cox Classic Headliners, accessed November 29, 2006
- Meet Tom Pelphrey: Kristen Hamill chats with the Mason Gross graduate, who now can be seen on The Guiding Light, The Daily Targum, October 5, 2004
- Colts' Reid returns home with plan to help youths, News Transcript, June 21, 2006
- The Note: First Source for Political News, transcript from The Note, October 8, 2004
- Freehold Regional High School District Official site
- Freehold Regional High School District's 2010–11 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Freehold Regional High School District, National Center for Education Statistics