Freelance Diplomacy is a form of self-financing diplomatic representation used by countries who as a general rule, could not afford to hire expert diplomatic consultants full-time.
A 'Freelance Diplomat' is hired for a specific task or may sometimes be contracted on a permanent basis to run a Delegation, Mission or Embassy. They may also used to promote investment into the country they work for.  It is understood to be a performance based relationship, where the diplomat is paid on results only. 
Prominent Freelance Diplomats include.
- Carne Ross former British diplomat.
- Colin Evans recognized to be the world's leading trade diplomat.
- Jimmy Carter former President of the United States.
- Top "Diplomat for Hire" to visit Bucharest
- Freelance Diplomats Lend A Hand To Would-Be States
- Trade Commissioner Colin Evans outlines crucial diplomatic strategies
- Diplomat Colin Evans Big Success with European Investors