|Industry||wireless, RF Communications, M2M, IoT|
|Headquarters||5395 Pearl Parkway, Suite 100, Boulder, CO 80301|
|Key people||Steve Wulchin (co-founder and President), Kim Niederman (CEO), Ashish Sharma (CMO), Karl Kunz (CFO), Greg Veintimilla (CTO), Ken Granader (VP of Sales), Kelly Wenzel (Director of HR)|
|Products||Wireless M2M networking and communication solutions|
FreeWave Technologies, Inc. was founded in 1993 and is a B2B company based in Boulder, Colorado, where it manufactures and designs industrial, secure machine-to-machine wireless networking and communications solutions. Its wireless solutions are utilized in industrial, government and defense, scientific, and commercial applications. The U.S. Army is one of its biggest customers. FreeWave partners with leaders in oil and gas, utilities, electric power/smart grid and many other industries. FreeWave radios support a variety of industrial applications, such as supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA), wireless I/O, cathodic protection (CP) and remote monitoring. The company also conducts network design, path studies, and pre-installation engineering services to ensure reliable, error free data-flow under any condition and in all environments.
- 1 History
- 2 Uses
- 3 Products
- 4 External links
- 5 See also
- 6 References
FreeWave Technologies was founded in August 1993 by Jonathan Sawyer and Steve Wulchin. From the beginning, Sawyer and Wulchin aimed to help customers transmit mission critical data via secure, highly reliable licensed and license-free spread spectrum radios. FreeWave has manufactured all of its radios in Boulder, Colorado since the first radio was shipped in 1994. In June 2007, TA Associates led a $113 million investment in FreeWave Technologies. Its largest markets are oil & gas and government & defense (military). In June 2007, TA Associates led a $113 million investment in FreeWave Technologies. FreeWave also began to increase its focus on the utilities markets in 2009 – 2010 with its M2M technology and has continued to increase its presence in the electric power and water/wastewater industries. Today, FreeWave Technologies has more than 800,000 industrial radios and embedded modules in the field.
FreeWave's wireless M2M solutions are used across many industries including oil and gas, military, precision agriculture, golf, water/wastewater and more. For instance, FreeWave radios are used by energy companies to maximize production and reduce operating costs, for mission critical applications within the military, and for environmental monitoring to provide warning of impending natural disasters such as volcanoes.
LTER uses FreeWave at several sites such as Trout Lake, Alaska, Luquillo, and Niwot Ridge. Denver University uses the radios to beam images from their mountain-top observatory. NCAR’s Marshall Test Site uses FreeWave in a complex weather measurement system. Denver International Airport uses the radios in a 30 mile weather link to that Marshall Test Site. BMW Oracle Racing uses FreeWave radios in the America's Cup. The National Geographic Society sponsored two expeditions to the top of Mount Everest in which FreeWave was used as a life-line to remotely communicate the vital signs of the climbers to their base camp.
Its wireless M2M networking and communications solutions serve a wide variety of applications in industries, such as electric power, oil and gas, water/wastewater and more.
WavePoint™ is FreeWave Technologies' comprehensive and versatile wireless M2M communications architecture that delivers secure, end-to-end, wired and wireless communications. It's a powerful solution for organizations with multiple - and often remote - locations where fast, secure, and reliable wireless connectivity between these sites and the back office is critical.
- WavePoint 10e
- WavePoint 20e
FreeWave serial radios support users in locations across the world ranging from the Middle East to Mount Everest, Permian Basin[disambiguation needed] to the Amazon Rainforest, and from Antarctica to New York.
- Ranger Series
- 869 Series (for Europe only)
- Cellular bridge
FreeWave’s wireless I/O is the basis for remote process automation, process optimization and condition-based monitoring. Wireless I/O combines remote measurement, remote control and instant data communications with very reliable wireless networks. By integrating Wireless I/O into small field networks, medium plant operations and large SCADA systems, users have wireless sensor measurements, physical control and communications between remote controllers from a single device.
- IO Expansion
- WaveLine 10i
FreeWave’s wireless Ethernet solutions are designed for harsh environments.
- MM2 Ethernet
These FreeWave radios are a reliable solution for embedding within original equipment manufacturer (OEM) products.
- MM2 Ethernet
Cathodic protection radios
Its cathodic protection remote monitoring solutions offer form factor flexibility in: board level, line marker, self-contained rectifier kit with solar panel and battery backup, a battery-operated waterproof unit, and the newest product "The Tower Replacement" module.
- Battery-powered waterproof unit
- Board level CP
- Line marker
- Rectifier monitoring enit
- Tower replacement module
These FreeWave radios are designed for traffic control applications.
Licensed radios (1.4 GHz and 400 MHz)
FreeWave Technologies licensed band radios have applications wherever licensed radios are preferred ranging from oil and gas to municipalities and beyond. Serial
- LRS 140
- LRS 455
Government and defense
- L-Band (MM2-M13 and P Series)
- MM2 EX
- Q Series
- 3400 series (3.4 GHz)
- F Series
- F Series – Narrow band
- Spartan Series
FreeWave Tool Suite is a free program and provides a simplified way to set up and manage networks. The software is secure and user-friendly, allowing users to control multiple frequencies and networks within a single system. Storage is centralized, so users have access to diagnostic data, reports and more.
- FreeWave Tool Suite
- Mounting Systems
- FreeWave Technologies Ranked Number 26 in Deloitte's Technology Fast 50 Program
- TA Associates Leads $113 Million Investment in FreeWave Technologies, Inc.
- FreeWave celebrates one million flight hour milestone
- FreeWave Technologies Wins 2011 Smart Grid Excellence Award
- Control Engineering Engineer's Choice finalist, FreeWave's I/O expansion module, 2012
- 2011 Plant Engineering Product of the Year Finalist: Automation and Control Category: GXM Radio
- FreeWave Technologies Wins Communications Technology Professionals' 2011 Ascent Award
- FreeWave's I/O Expansion Module Wins Smart Grid 2011 Product of the Year Award from TMCNet and CrossFire Media
- FreeWave's FGR2-PE Awarded 2012 American Technology Award
- FreeWave Technologies Receives M2M Evolution Product of the Year Award
- FreeWave Technologies selected as a finalist in the Automation and Control category for Plant Engineering Magazine’s 25th Annual Product of the Year competition
- FreeWave Technologies selected as a finalist in the Best Data Security/Loss Management category for Government Security News' 2012 Homeland Security Awards
- FreeWave Technologies' WavePoint Platform Announced as Finalist for 2014 Golden Bridge Awards
- FreeWave Technologies selected as a finalist in the Network Integration - Wireless Products category for Control Engineering's Engineer's Choice Awards
- 2014 M2M Evolution Product of the Year Award Goes to FreeWave Technologies' WavePoint
- FreeWave's WavePoint Wins Editor's Choice Award from 'Military Embedded Systems' Magazine
- FreeWave Technologies' WavePoint M2M Wireless Platform Receives 2014 Smart Grid Product of the Year Award
-  FreeWave Sets Sights On Fast-Growing Industrial M2M Marketplace With New Executive Appointments