|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2007)|
|Headquarters||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Key people||Tim Barton (Founder and Chairman), Tyler Ellison (CEO), Byron Clymer (CIO), Matt Druten (CFO)|
|Products||Freight Forwarding Services|
|Revenue||$520 million USD (as of 2011[update] est)|
Freightquote is a privately owned online transportation broker of freight services throughout North America. Their business provides comparisons of shipping rates for hundreds of national and regional freight carriers. The company combines services and carriers coordinates logistics for small and large loads, such as single pallets to full shipping containers moved by combinations of truck and rail. Based in Kansas City, MO, the company employs approximately 1,200 people nationwide.
Freightquote developed a patented-technology platform to enable shippers to find competitive rates that can be compared for their freight shipments, similar to that which travel websites provide. Performed online, customers input freight shipment information online, review carrier options, choose a carrier, book shipments and pay for services. The company extends this platform through API connections. E-commerce websites integrate the company's technology to provide their customers with freight cost estimating and booking capabilities. Partners include Magento, zen cart and OS Commerce.
Tim Barton founded Freightquote in August 1998. The first nine months were spent developing the company's technology and carrier partnerships. The website launched in May 1999. Freightquote has grown steadily since its inception.
Freightquote made its first significant acquisition in December 2005 with the purchase of Twin Modal, a truckload and intermodal transportation intermediary based in Minneapolis, MN. In December 2006, Great Hill Partners signed a deal to acquire a minority interest in the company. In January 2007, the company made its second major acquisition with the purchase of Rockwell Transportation. Based in the Perkasie, PA, Rockwell provided traditional personalized freight transportation management services, similar to those of Twin Modal.
The company employs over 1,200 employees and has annualized revenues exceeding $500 million. It helps to move over 1 million shipments annually.
- Ebay Business at Your Fingertips - Kevin Boyd. p. 113.
- "About Freightquote: U.S. Freight Shipping Company". Freightquote. Retrieved 2014-08-16.
- "Freightquote.com Inc. - 2014/01/14 - Gale Company Profiles". Alacrastore.com. 2014-01-14. Retrieved 2014-08-16.
- "Great Hill Takes Stake in FreightQuote". The New York Times. December 14, 2006. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- Barry, David (January 20, 2010). "The $100 Million Revenue Club: Freightquote.com". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- (Associated Press) (January 28, 2014). "Freightquote plans to add 400 jobs in Kansas City". Columbia Daily Tribune. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Gov. Nixon joins company officials, Mayor James in opening new Freightquote corporate headquarters in Kansas City". Office of Missouri Governor Jay Nixon. July 16, 2013. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Freightquote breaks ground on Mo. offices". MSN News. Retrieved 17 March 2014. (video)
- Quinn, Kathy (August 14, 2012). "Freightquote.com Breaks Ground on New $44M Headquarters". Fox News (Kansas City). Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- Stewart, Matt (July 16, 2013). "Freightquote leaves Kansas for Missouri". Fox News (Kansas City). Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- Trucking in growth: Freightquote carries the revenue load by investing in service and technology - Kansas City Business Journal
- Freightquote.com buys Pennsylvania firm - Kansas City Business Journal
- Rafter, Dan (July 18, 2013). "RED Brokerage, Van Trust Real Estate bring online shipping company to Kansas City". RE Journals. Retrieved 17 March 2014.