French American International School (Portland, Oregon)
|French American International School|
|8500 NW Johnson Street
|Head teacher||Pam Dreisin|
|Number of students||395 |
The school has an annual operating budget of over $7 million. Approximately 92 percent of operating revenue is generated by tuition, with other operations and fundraising activities accounting for the remaining 8 percent.
A partner school, the German American School, is located in Portland, and serves grades K-5. Its graduates may elect to attend middle school at FAIS, in order to receive German-language instruction in language arts and social studies.
Community participation is emphasized at the French American International School. In 2012, three high school women who learned French at FAIS assisted with a WWII translation project about "a B-17 crash in the Alps near the French-Italian border." A cookbook by the Families and Friends of The French American International School, L’ivre de Cuisine : A Compendium of World Recipes, has been favorably reviewed for its use of local food and focus on bringing young people into the kitchen to cook. The school has received Audubon Society certification for "removal of invasive weeds and practicing wildlife stewardship," and a City Commissioner complimented its students for providing "sophisticated ideas and articulate comments" on the 2010 Portland Plan.
- Agence pour l'enseignement français à l'étranger
- Education in France
- German American School, Portland, OR
- "Oregon School Directory 2008-09" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. p. 139. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- French American International School, National Center for Education Statistics, Institute of Education Sciences
- "French American International School - Portland: Academics » Gilkey International Middle School (Grades 6 - 8) » Our Partner School". Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- Tammy Ellingson. "Translating History". Portland Family Magazine. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "French American School Cookbook review". Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- Mollie Hottle (2012-04-30). "French American International School receives Audubon certification". OregonLive.com. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "French American International School visits Council". Retrieved 2012-09-12.