French Camp, Mississippi
|French Camp, Mississippi|
French Camp Academy
Location of French Camp, Mississippi
|• Mayor||Glen Barlow|
|• Alderwoman||Becky Rogers|
|• Alderwoman||Jenny Morgan|
|• Alderman||Peter Pendleton|
|• Alderwoman||Becky Stephens|
|• Total||1.0 sq mi (2.6 km2)|
|• Land||1.0 sq mi (2.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||413 ft (126 m)|
|• Density||398.1/sq mi (153.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0670200|
French Camp is so named from a settlement made by the French. The town of French Camp, Mississippi dates back to circa 1810, when a Frenchman, Louis Lefleur, established a stand or trading post and inn, on the Natchez Trace. The Choctaw natives and others in the area called it The Frenchman's Camp. Later it was shortened to French Camp.
French Camp is located at (33.293936, -89.400248).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 393 people, 68 households, and 42 families residing in the town. The population density was 398.1 people per square mile (153.3/km²). There were 74 housing units at an average density of 75.0 per square mile (28.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 92.37% White, 5.09% African American, 1.53% from other races, and 1.02% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.27% of the population.
There were 68 households out of which 26.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.4% were married couples living together, 4.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.8% were non-families. 36.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 3.19.
In the town the population was spread out with 48.6% under the age of 18, 9.4% from 18 to 24, 13.5% from 25 to 44, 16.5% from 45 to 64, and 12.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 18 years. For every 100 females there were 113.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $26,250, and the median income for a family was $27,188. Males had a median income of $13,750 versus $12,813 for females. The per capita income for the town was $5,047. About 17.1% of families and 64.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 70.5% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
- French Camp Elementary School
- French Camp Academy
Points of interest
- Rainwater Observatory and Planetarium
- French Camp Town Hall (Also houses the French Camp Volunteer Fire Department)
- French Camp Academy Campus
- Natchez Trace Historic Village including
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 132.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Post Office Location - FRENCH CAMP." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on March 12, 2010.
- "French Camp Elementary School." Choctaw County School District. Retrieved on March 12, 2010.
- "About Us." French Camp Academy. Retrieved on March 12, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to French Camp, Mississippi.|