French euro coins
French euro coins feature three separate designs for the three series of coins. The minor series was designed by Fabienne Courtiade, the middle one by Laurent Jorio and the major two coins are by Joaquin Jimenez. All designs share the 12 stars of the EU and the year of imprint as well as the letters "RF" for République Française (French Republic).
French euro design
|€ 0.01||€ 0.02||€ 0.05|
|Portrait of Marianne, the symbol of the French Republic.|
|€ 0.10||€ 0.20||€ 0.50|
|The sower, a theme carried over from the former franc.|
|€ 1.00||€ 2.00||€ 2 Coin Edge|
|for a total of 12 stars|
|A stylised tree contained in a hexagon with the motto Liberté Egalité Fraternité|
Circulating Mintage quantities
The following table shows the mintage quantity for all French euro coins, per denomination, per year (the numbers are represented in millions).
|Face Value||€0.01||€0.02||€0.05||€0.10||€0.20||€0.50||€1.00||€2.00||€2.00 CC|
* No coins were minted that year for that denomination
Future changes to national sides
The Commission of the European Communities issued a recommendation on 19 December 2008, a common guideline for the national sides and the issuance of euro coins intended for circulation. One section of this recommendation stipulates that:
- Article 4. Design of the national sides:
- "The national side of the euro coins intended for circulation should bear the 12 European stars that should fully surround the national design, including the year mark and the indication of the issuing Member State's name. The European stars should be depicted as on the European flag."
Since French euro coins have part of the national design outside of the 12 stars of the union, a new design on the French euro coins is expected in the near future to comply with these new guidelines, although nothing has officially been announced yet.
- "Circulating Mintage quantities". Henning Agt. Retrieved 22 August 2008.
- "Recommendation of 19 December 2008 on common guidelines for the national side of euro coins". The Euro Information Website. 14 January 2009. Retrieved 14 January 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to French euro coins.|
- The visual characteristics of the Euro coins: France Official Journal of the European Communities
- euoHOBBY France