Frescobaldi is an editor for LilyPond music files. It aims to be powerful, yet lightweight and easy to use. Frescobaldi is free software, freely available under the GNU General Public License. It is designed to run on all major operating systems (Linux, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows). It is named after Girolamo Frescobaldi, an Italian composer of keyboard music in the late Renaissance and early Baroque period.
In April 2009, Frescobaldi won a "HotPick" award in Linux Format. In May 2009, TuxRadar listed it as one of "100 open source gems".
Frescobaldi is written in Python and uses PyQt4 for its user interface.
- Powerful text editor with syntax highlighting and automatic completion
- Music view with advanced Point & Click
- Midi player to proof-listen LilyPond-generated MIDI files
- Powerful Score Wizard to quickly set up a music score
- Snippet Manager to store and apply text snippets, templates or scripts
- Use multiple versions of LilyPond, automatically selects the correct version
- Built-in LilyPond documentation browser and built-in help
- Modern user interface with configurable colors, fonts and keyboard shortcuts
- Translated into the following languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Czech, Russian, Spanish, Galician, Turkish and Polish
- Transpose music
- Change music from relative to absolute and vice versa
- Change the language used for note names
- Change the rhythm (double, halve, add/remove dots, copy, paste) etc.
- Hyphenate lyrics using word-processor hyphenation dictionaries
- Add spanners, dynamics, articulation easily using the Quick Insert panel
- Update LilyPond syntax using convert-ly, with display of differences