|Alexa rank||2,442 (April 2014[update])|
|Users||1.6 million (accounts, not visitors) (As of 14 July 2010[update])|
FreshBooks is a cloud-based accounting solution designed for small business owners. It was founded by Mike McDerment and Joe Sawada in 2003 out of McDerment's previous Internet marketing consulting business Anicon. It has about 129 employees and remains privately held.
When McDerment accidentally saved over an invoice back in 2003, he turned his frustration into a better way to manage the accounting for his small business. Since building the company from his parents' basement, FreshBooks has helped more than 5 million people collect billions of dollars through time tracking, invoicing and expense management.
Originally, the product was named 2ndSite, synonymous with the company. In early 2006, the company rebranded the product as FreshBooks with a completely different look and feel based on the then burgeoning Web 2.0 style.
Industry accolades include the 2013 Stevie Awards for customer service and the 2013 IXDA Award for iPhone design. Based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
- "Freshbooks.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Rao, Leena (July 14, 2010). "In Five Months, FreshBooks Crosses $1 Billion In Transactions". TechCrunch. Retrieved March 17, 2011.
- "From his parents' basement, entrepreneur builds accounting powerhouse". The Globe and Mail. Dec 14, 2012. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "FreshBooks’ rookie mistakes". Financial Post. 2012-01-20. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "FreshBooks honored with 6 Stevie Awards for extraordinary customer service". FreshBooks. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- Grignani, Raphael. "2013 Interaction Awards: Winners Announced!". IXDA. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- McKinnon, Casey. "FreshBooks Wins an IXDA Design Award for iPhone App". FreshBooks. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "About FreshBooks". FreshBooks. Retrieved 3 March 2014.