Fresno State Bulldogs baseball
|Fresno State Bulldogs|
|Head Coach||Mike Batesole (11th year)|
|Home Stadium||Pete Beiden Field
|College World Series Appearances|
|1959, 1988, 1991, 2008|
|NCAA Tournament Appearances|
|1954, 1955, 1959, 1961, 1962, 1966, 1967, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012|
|Conference Tournament Champions|
|WAC: 1993, 1995, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012|
|WAC: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011|
The Fresno State Bulldogs baseball team represents Fresno State in NCAA Division I college baseball. Along with most other Fresno State athletic teams, the baseball team participates in the Mountain West Conference. The Bulldogs play their home games on campus at Pete Beiden Field, and they are currently coached by Mike Batesole.
Fresno State in the NCAA Tournament
- The 2008 NCAA Division I College World Series Champions.
- In one of the more improbable Cinderella stories in American sports history, the Bulldogs surmounted a daunting array of obstacles on their way to the NCAA title:
- Fresno State had never won an NCAA championship in any men's sport going into the 2008 tournament.
- Fresno State had previously won only one national championship in its school history, the 1998 NCAA Women's College World Series.
- The Bulldogs entered the Western Athletic Conference tournament at 33-27; they would likely not have made the NCAA tournament without winning the WAC tournament, which they did.
- They were the #4 seed in their regional. Since only four teams play in each of 16 regionals, this is the equivalent of a team seeded #13 or lower in the NCAA basketball tournament. No #4 seed had ever advanced to the College World Series. By contrast, no #13 or lower seed has ever made the "Elite 8" of the men's basketball tournament, which is arguably equivalent to the eight-team College World Series.
- Six times in the NCAA tournament, including three times in the College World Series, they faced elimination with a loss. They won all six times.
- They won a total of 10 tournament games against six different teams ranked in the top 20. ESPN pointed out that in terms of the NCAA basketball tournament, Fresno State's run would be equivalent to a 13 seed beating a 4 seed in the first round, a 5 seed in the second round, a top seed in the Sweet 16, a second seed in the Elite 8, another top seed in the Final Four, and still another 2 seed for the championship.
- The Bulldogs' stellar underdog journey to the CWS Championship was nominated for an ESPY.
Fresno State's 30+ NCAA tournament appearances is good enough to rank in the top 10 all-time.
- Jimy Williams – 1999 American League Manager of the Year (Boston Red Sox), 1995 World Series champion (third-base coach, Atlanta Braves), and 2008 World Series champion (bench coach, Philadelphia Phillies).
- "Fresno State reaches historic postseason heights". ESPN.com. 2008-06-23. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- Associated Press (2008-06-25). "Fresno State shocks Georgia for first CWS championship". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2008-06-25.