|The Right Honourable
|7th Prime Minister of Barbados|
23 October 2010
|Governor General||Clifford Husbands
|Preceded by||David Thompson|
27 April 1951 |
Saint Philip, Barbados
|Political party||Democratic Labour Party|
|Alma mater||University of the West Indies|
Freundel Jerome Stuart QC MP (born 27 April 1951) is the seventh Prime Minister of Barbados. He succeeded David Thompson, who died on 23 October 2010 of pancreatic cancer. He is a member of the Democratic Labour Party (DLP).
Personal life and career
An alumnus of the Christ Church Foundation School, Stuart is a graduate of the University of the West Indies and holds degrees in Political Science and Law. He is a lawyer and his practice encompasses criminal and corporate law.
He has supported several community organizations and sponsors the Dayrells United Achievers Community Club and the Notre Dame Sports Club.
Freundel Stuart has for several years been a stalwart of the Democratic Labour Party and has served in many capacities including that of President. He represents the St. Michael South constituency.
7th Prime Minister of Barbados
Stuart served as acting Prime Minister of Barbados since May 2010 when Prime Minister David Thompson became ill with pancreatic cancer. Adriel Brathwaite succeeded Stuart in the positions he then held, namely Attorney-General and Minister of Home Affairs. Thompson died on October 23, 2010. Leaders of the Democratic Labour Party held an emergency meeting at the party's headquarters on George Street in Bridgetown on the morning of Thompson's death, during which Stuart was chosen as the next Prime Minister.
In 2011, Stuart was appointed as a member of the UN Global Panel on Sustainability.
On January 24, 2014, Stuart became the newest member of the Queen's Privy Council.
- "Caribbean MBA Conference". Caribbeanconference.org. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "BGIS Media - Biography - Deputy Prime Minister". Gisbarbados.gov.bb. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- Staff writers (23 October 2010). "Breaking News: Cabinet members to be re-confirmed this afternoon". The Barbados Advocate. Retrieved 23 October 2010.
- Staff writer (23 October 2010). "Stuart sworn in Prime Minister". Nation Newspaper. Retrieved 23 October 2010.[dead link]
- Staff writer. "Urgent Barbados Death: Barbados Prime Minister David Thompson is dead". Caribbean News Agency (CANA). Retrieved 23 October 2010.
- "New Barbados PM to be sworn in". RJR News. 23 October 2010. Retrieved 23 October 2010.
- "Barbados’ Seventh PM". Trinidad & Tobago's Newsday. 2010-10-25. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- "Meet Barbados' New Prime Minister". CaribWorldNews. 2010-10-23. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- "Barbados has new Attorney-General". Nation News. 2010-07-10. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- "Winners again". The Barbados Advocate. 22 February 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- The Democratic Labour Party
- profile of Freundel Stuart, at the High-level Panel of the UN Secretary-General on Global Sustainability
|Prime Minister of Barbados