Though some sources refer to it casually as "Friar's Club", it was not related to the New York Friars' Club.
Noted musicians who played at the Friar's Inn included Frank Teschemacher, Bud Freeman, Steve Brown, George Brunies, Merritt Brunies, Emmett Hardy, Paul Mares, Leon Roppolo, Bee Palmer, Louis 'Lou' Black, and Mel Stitzel. Joan Crawford worked as a dancer at the Friar's Inn early in her career.
- Jazz Age Chicago: Friar's Inn (news item from Variety, 1921)
- A Popular Music Timeline
- Frank Teschemacher 1906-1932
- The Austin High Gang
- Jazz Archive
- University of Chicago Library: Jazz Venue Ephemera
- Chicago Encyclopedia: Nightclubs
- Joan Crawford (Vanity Fair, February 1936)