Friday I'm in Love
|"Friday I'm in Love"|
|Single by The Cure|
|from the album Wish|
|Released||11 May 1992|
|Format||CD, 12" vinyl|
|The Cure singles chronology|
"Friday I'm in Love" is a song and a worldwide hit by British rock band The Cure. It is the second single taken from the album Wish (1992). It won the award for European Viewer's Choice for Best Music Video at the 1992 MTV Video Music Awards.
During the writing process, Robert Smith became convinced that he had inadvertently stolen the chord progression from somewhere, and this led him to a state of paranoia where he called everyone he could think of and played the song for them, asking if they heard it before. None of them had, and Robert realized that the melody was indeed his. The bassline and vocal phrasing do bear resemblance to New Order's song "All The Way" (1989), although this song's bassline and structure is, in return, very similar to "Just Like Heaven" (1987) by The Cure, predating both "Friday I'm in Love" (1992) and New Order's song "All The Way" (1989). The song was written to be a slower number than its upbeat final rendition. While the track was recorded in D major, the commercially released version sounds a quarter-tone lower than D major due to Robert Smith forgetting to turn off the vari-speed on the tape after toying with it before recording. When played live, the song is played in its original intended key as opposed to the one heard on the record.
The track was produced by both David M. Allen and The Cure.
Like much of the band's artwork, the single's art was designed and created by guitarist Porl Thompson and Andy Vella.
- Robert Smith - Voice, guitar, keyboard
- Simon Gallup - Bass
- Porl Thompson - Guitar
- Boris Williams - Drums
- Perry Bamonte - Keyboard, guitar
- Bryan 'Chuck' New - Remix
The video, directed by Tim Pope, features the band performing the song in front of various backdrops on a soundstage. Throughout the video, the band play around with various props and costumes while several extras wander about, causing chaos and ultimately trashing the set. Tim Pope makes a cameo in the beginning, riding a rocking horse and yelling out high-pitched stage directions through a plastic megaphone after inhaling helium from a balloon. The final shot is of bassist Simon Gallup crouching and peering into the camera while wearing a bridal veil and holding some champagne. The producer of Friday I'm in Love, Dave M. Allen, makes an appearance in the background, holding up props too.
In popular culture
The track is the main theme song used in the 2009 film He's Just Not That into You.Dean Wareham and Britta Phillips covered the track for a compilation of The Cure covers, to be released on American Laundromat Records. A cover by Dryden Mitchell featured in the film "50 First Dates" (2004). The Jon Foreman/Sean Watkins side project Fiction Family covered the song for the deluxe edition of their debut self-titled album, "Fiction Family The song is also one of the playable tracks in Lips: Party Classics on Xbox 360, released in February 2010.
The song Friday I'm In Love features in the 2013 Richard Curtis film About Time.
The single was a number 6 hit in the UK and reached number 18 on the Billboard Hot 100. It is the band's last American Top 40 hit to date. It was also the band's last song (in a string of four) to top the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart, matching the success of their previous single, "High", with a four-week stint at number 1.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||13|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||16|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||32|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||7|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||17|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||6|
|US Billboard Hot 100||18|
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||32|
|US Hot Modern Rock Tracks (Billboard)||1|
|1.||"Friday I'm in Love (Stangelove Mix)"||5:29|
|3.||"Scared as You"||4:12|
- "The Cure's Robert Smith interview - Part Two". femalefirst.co.uk. 28-Oct 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- Gore, Joe (September 1992). "Editor". Guitar Player.
- Film trailer: He's Just Not That into You guardian.co.uk, 2 October 2008
- JUST LIKE HEAVEN - A TRIBUTE TO THE CURE alr-music.com, 28 December 2008
-  iTunes Music Store; "Fiction Family" by Fiction Family, 20 January 2009
- "Australian-charts.com – The Cure – Friday I'm In Love". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "The Cure – Friday I'm In Love – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- Top Singles - Volume 56, No. 8, August 22 1992. RPM100 (Top Singles). RPM
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Cure – Friday I'm In Love" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – The Cure – Friday I'm In Love". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – The Cure – Friday I'm In Love". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – The Cure – Friday I'm In Love". Singles Top 60.
- "The Cure – Friday I'm In Love – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "The Cure" UK Singles Chart.
- "The Cure Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for The Cure.
- "The Cure Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance/Club Play for The Cure.
- "The Cure Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Alternative Songs for The Cure. Nielsen Business Media.