Under the leadership of Karl Barth bordering this new theological direction of the prevailing liberal theology and so far from their representatives (Albrecht Ritschl and others). Against historicism and anthropocentrism of Protestant theology of the 19th century represented the dialectical theology out the absolute antithesis of God and man. The ultimate publication medium of dialectical theology was named after a phrase Gogarten's series "Between the ages."
Although Karl Barth in 1920 in a letter to Edward Thurneysen excited about Gogarten writes: "This is a dreadnought for us and against our adversaries. Who knows, someday he will teach us, he has quite the allure and the stuff one man which ... to be. ", is nonetheless only a few years later a certain distance between Barth and Gogarten felt. Then later there was the dissolution of the magazine "Between the times" and to break with Barth and sometimes also with Rudolf Bultmann, who, however, takes 1940, the relationship Gogarten again.
After the so-called "Sports Palace demonstration on November 13, 1933 in Berlin, he departs, however, already appeared in several magazines with an explanation of the "Faith Movement of German Christians." Gogarten never joined the Nazi party.
Gogarten has taught since 1927 in Jena, where he was due to his inaugural lecture on "theological tradition and theological work. Intellectual history or theology?", took over in 1931 as the successor of Erich Schaeder in Wroclaw, Poland the chair of Systematic Theology, had to summer 1935 for the reading circle where Karl Barth in Bonn, take over the representation and was then in the winter 1935 in Göttingen as successor to Carl Strange as full appointed professor of systematic theology and appointed a university preacher. On February 25, 1955, he retired in Göttingen, where he died.
"This is the fate of our generation that we stand between two eras. We never belonged to the period which ends today. Whether we will ever belong to the time will come, and if we are made to it by us could, whether it will come so soon? "We are in the middle between them. In an empty room."
- Honorary doctorate from the Theological Faculty of the University of Giessen (1924)
- Großes Verdienstkreuz der Bundesrepublik Deutschland (Great Cross of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany) 1957
- Großes Verdienstkreuz mit Stern der Bundesrepublik Deutschland (Great Cross of Merit with Star of the Federal Republic of Germany) 1967
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bautz (1990). "Friedrich Gogarten". In Bautz, Friedrich Wilhelm. Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL) (in German) 2. Hamm: Bautz. cols. 263–264. ISBN 3-88309-032-8.
- Kroeger, Matthias (1997). Friedrich Gogarten. Leben und Wirken in zeitgeschichtlicher Perspektive - mit zahlreichen Dokumenten und Materialien (in German) 1. Stuttgart: Kohlhammer. ISBN 3-17-014979-2.
Kroeger, Matthias (1997). Friedrich Gogarten. Leben und Wirken in zeitgeschichtlicher Perspektive - mit zahlreichen Dokumenten und Materialien (in German) 1. Stuttgart: Kohlhammer. ISBN 3-17-014979-2.