17 December 1908|
|Died||24 September 1944
Lyck, East Prussia
|Allegiance|| Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1927-1944|
|Commands held||Grenadier-Regiment 470|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Friedrich Strohm (17 December 1908 – 24 September 1944) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Friedrich Strohm died on 24 September 1944 in Lyck, East Prussia. He was posthumously promoted to Oberst and awarded the Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross on 18 October 1944.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (16 June 1940)
- 1st Class (23 August 1941)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- Eastern Front Medal
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Close Combat Clasp
- in Bronze (28 November 1943)
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (10 July 1943)
- German Cross in Gold (21 April 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 337.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 76.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Nietrug, Gerd (2004). Die Ritterkreuzträger des Saarlandes 1939 - 1945. Zweibrücken: VDM Nickel. ISBN 3-925480-93-5.