Friends of Cancer Research
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (July 2011)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (July 2011)|
Friends of Cancer Research ("FOCR") is a non-profit organization dedicated to accelerating the nation’s progress toward prevention and treatment of cancer by mobilizing public support for cancer research funding and providing education on key public policy issues.
Friends of Cancer Research (Friends) is a non-profit organization that, for more than a decade, has pioneered innovative public-private partnerships, organized critical policy forums, educated the public, and brought together key communities to develop collaborative strategies in the field of cancer research. Made up of leading members of the cancer community, Friends of Cancer Research works to engage key stakeholders in the scientific, patient, government, corporate, and media sectors to identify barriers and find solutions for the most pressing issues facing cancer research today.
||This section contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (July 2011)|
Founded in 1996 to mark the 25th Anniversary of the National Cancer Act, FOCR is a blend of strong voices within the cancer community. FOCR engages and collaborates with leaders of cancer centers, patient advocacy groups, oncology professional societies, public and private corporations, and representatives from the media and entertainment industry on our programs.
Over the past ten years, Friends of Cancer Research has pioneered innovative public-private partnerships, organized critical policy forums, educated the public and brought together key communities to develop collaborative strategies in the field of cancer research.
The executive committee is composed of eight members :
- Ellen V. Sigal,Ph.D Rutgers University, Chairperson and Founder, serves on the National Cancer Institute Board of Scientific Advisors, the National Institutes of Health Foundation Board chairing its Public Private Initiatives Committee, member of the American Association for Cancer Research Foundation Board, serves on the C-Change Research Committee, and is a member of the Entertainment Industry Foundation Oversight Committee for the Biomarker Discovery Project.
- Marlene A. Malek, R.N., President - Received a Presidential Appointment to the Board of Trustees of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts (1993), serves on the Community Board at the Kennedy Center, member of the Collectors Committee at the National Gallery of Art, serves on the Board of Directors of the National Museum of Women in the Arts, Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors at Marymount University , and wife of Fred Malek - founder and Chairman of Thayer Capital Partners.
- Barbara Duffy Stewart, M.P.H., Secretary, Association of American Cancer Institutes.
- Charles Balch, M.D., F.A.C.S., Treasurer, Johns Hopkins Medicine and American Society of Clinical Oncology (Liaison)
- Margaret Foti, Ph.D, M.D.(h.c.), American Association for Cancer Research
- Sherry Lansing, The Sherry Lansing Foundation, Paramount Pictures
- Otis Brawley, M.D., American Cancer Society
Friends of Cancer Research