Friends of Herculaneum Society
|Headquarters||Oxford, United Kingdom|
|Daniel Delattre, Robert Fowler, Richard Janko, Dirk Obbink, Nigel Wilson|
The Friends of Herculaneum Society is an Oxford-based British charity founded in 2004 to promote research into the archaeological site of Herculaneum at Ercolano, near Naples, Italy. Its headquarters are in the Ioannou Centre for Classical and Byzantine Studies, 66 St Giles Oxford OX1 3LU
Role and Interests
The Society's members are particularly interested in the Villa of the Papyri and in the possibility of finding a hitherto unknown library or libraries in the unexcavated lower levels of that structure. More than 1800 Herculaneum papyri were discovered in Herculaneum in the 18th century, and it is hoped that many more may yet be discovered, including a Latin library containing hitherto lost classics.
Members of the Society come from all walks of life. Its membership is not exclusive to scholars as it includes all those interested in Herculaneum, the Villa of the Papyri and Ancient Rome in general.
- Every two years the Society organises a Conference together with a visit to the Villa and the Herculaneum ruins.
- The Society runs competitions for schools and details of these can seen here. Pupils from Birkdale School, Sheffield, South Yorkshire won the competition in 2011.
- An American Friends of Herculaneum Society has been established in New York City. See: http://herculaneumfriends.org
- The Society's newsletter "Herculaneum Archaeology" is published once or twice yearly and is available to all members.
- The Society publishes a series called Sozomena: Studies in the Recovery of Ancient Texts. This is published on behalf of the Society by the distinguished publishing house Walter de Gruyter. The series editors are Alessandro Barchiesi, Robert Fowler, Dirk Obbink and Nigel Wilson.
Professor Daniel Delattre (CNRS, Paris), Prof. Robert Fowler (University of Bristol), Prof. Richard Janko (University of Michigan), Dr. Dirk Obbink (University of Oxford), Mr. Nigel Wilson (University of Oxford)
- "The Friends Of Herculaneum Society". CaritasDirect. CharitiesDirect.com. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
Registered Charity Number: 1107134 Category: Education/Training Address: The Ioannou Centre 66 St. Giles Oxford OX1 3LU Tel: 01865 288260 Aims & Objectives: TO PROMOTE THE CHARITABLE WORK OF THE HERCULANEUM SOCIETY (REGISTERED CHARITY NUMBER 1104632).
- See this Birkdale School website: http://www.birkdaleschool.org.uk/news/news_reader.asp?intNewsId=442Accessed 2012-04-19.
- See the following Walter de Gruyter site: http://www.degruyter.com/view/serial/22598?rskey=PWWpIO&result=141&q= Accessed 2012-04-18.