Friends of Syria Group
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)|
The Group of Friends of the Syrian People (sometimes: Friends of Syria Group or Friends of the Syrian People Group or Friends of Democratic Syria or simply Friends of Syria) is an international diplomatic collective of countries and bodies convening periodically on the topic of Syria outside the U.N. Security Council. The collective was created in response to a Russian and Chinese veto on a Security Council resolution condemning Syria; American president Barack Obama has stated that it was organized by the United States.
The group was initiated by then-French president Nicolas Sarkozy, and its first meeting took place on 24 February 2012 in Tunisia. The second meeting took place the same year on 1 April in Istanbul, Turkey. The third meeting of the Friends of Syria took place in Paris in early July 2012. Now in Marrakesh, Morocco is preparing the Fourth Summit of the Group of Friends of Syria.
Seventy nations participated in the conference held on 1 April 2012 to support Syrian opposition and increase pressure on the Syrian government. The Syrian National Council claiming the opposition is now united called for "serious action" and said they will "take charge of the payment of fixed salaries of Free Syrian Army". The Turkish PM defended what he called "Syrians' right to self-defence" and demanded the international community to speak up for the Syrian people. "We also believe the international community has a moral obligation to act. The bloodshed in Syria must stop," He added. Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani (Qatari Prime Minister), Arab League Secretariat and Hillary Clinton (US secretary of state) supported taking stronger measures against the Syrian government.
|This section requires expansion. (July 2012)|
The third meeting of the Friends of Syria group opened on 6 July 2012 in Paris, France. Speakers addressing the meeting included William Hague, Laurent Fabius, Ahmet Davutoğlu, and Hillary Clinton.
On 8 September 2013,
The conference in Marrakech, on 12 December 2012, was attended by delegates of 114 states.
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
Syrian opposition groups
International organizations participating in the Friends of Syria conference included:
- African Union
- Arab League
- Arab Maghreb Union
- European Union
- Gulf Cooperation Council
- Organisation of Islamic Cooperation
- United Nations
- "The Second Conference of the Group of Friends of the Syrian People will take place in İstanbul". Republic of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Barack Obama, Mitt Romney (22 October 2012). Final Presidential Debate 2012 (Film). Boca Raton, FL: ABC News.
- "France, partners planning Syria crisis group: Sarkozy". Reuters. 4 Feb 2012. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "'Friends of Syria' to call for UN to plan mission". Associated Press. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- Staff writer (1 April 2012). "Syria opposition: Don't prolong catastrophe". Al Jazeera English. Retrieved 1 April 2012.
- "'Friends of Syria' push for tougher sanctions". France 24. 7 July 2012. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- AFP (22 May 2013). "Friends of Syria meet as conflict escalates". Daily Star.
- "Friends of Syria recognizes opposition coalition as legitimate representative of Syrian people". 2012-12-12. Retrieved 2013-05-24.
- "US set to boost support for Syria opposition". 2013-02-28. Retrieved 2013-05-24.
- "Friends of Syria Deliver Nothing New". 2013-04-21. Retrieved 2013-05-24.
- "London 11 Meeting On Syria". UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Retrieved 2014-05-20.
- "Chairman's Conclusions of the International Conference of the Group of Friends of the Syrian People, 24 February". US Department of State. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "The Ambassador expressed the Indonesian position concerning conflict in Syria in the Friends of Syria Conference". Indonesia Embassy in Tunisia. 27 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-07.