Friends with Better Lives
|Friends with Better Lives|
|Created by||Dana Klein|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||12 (4 unaired)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Kapital Entertainment
20th Century Fox Television
|Original run||March 31 – May 26, 2014|
On May 10, 2014, CBS canceled the series after only five episodes had aired. Later that day, it was reported that Friends with Better Lives was being shopped to other networks. To date, eight of the 12 episodes produced have aired. Status of the remaining four episodes has not been announced.
The series follows the lives of six friends, all of whom are at different stages of their lives and thinking that each other has it better. Will (James Van Der Beek) is a newly-single bachelor pining for his ex-wife; Jules (Brooklyn Decker) and Lowell (Rick Donald) are newly engaged; Kate (Zoe Lister-Jones) is a successful, single career woman who does not have the best luck with dating; and Andi (Majandra Delfino) and Bobby (Kevin Connolly) are a happily married couple with one child and one on the way, pining for their younger fun days.
- James Van Der Beek as Will Stokes
- Majandra Delfino as Andi Lutz
- Zoe Lister-Jones as Kate McLean
- Brooklyn Decker as Jules Talley
- Kevin Connolly as Bobby Lutz
- Rick Donald as Lowell Peddit
Production and development
In September 2012, Friends with Better Lives first appeared as part of the CBS development slate. On January 22, 2013, CBS placed a pilot order. The pilot was written by Dana Klein and directed by James Burrows.
Casting announcements began in February 2013, with James Van Der Beek first cast in the role of Will Stokes, a gynaecologist who returns to the bachelor life after learning of his wife's infidelity. Brooklyn Decker was the next actor cast, in the series regular role of Jules Talley, a former model and aspiring actress who recently became engaged to Lowell. Rick Donald then joined the series as Lowell Peddit, a spiritual, self-righteous environmentalist who is recently engaged to Jules. Shortly after, Kevin Connolly and Majandra Delfino signed onto the series regular roles of Bobby and Andi Lutz, a happily married couple with two kids, who miss their young partying days. Zoe Lister-Jones was the last actor cast in the series regular role of Kate McLean, the Chief Operating Officer of a thriving social media company who doesn't have the best of luck when it comes to dating.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|1||"Pilot"||James Burrows||Dana Klein||March 31, 2014||1AWT79||7.63|
|Will reveals to his friends -- the happily married Bobby and Andi, still-single Kate, and sexy couple Jules and Lowell -- that his divorce is final. Soon after, Jules and Lowell announce their engagement, which upsets Kate. Kate's friends then try to get her to be less picky when it comes to men.|
|2||"Window Pain"||Todd Holland||Adam Chase||April 14, 2014||1AWT02||5.69|
|Kate helps Will move on from his ex by taking him to a singles bar. It is quickly apparent that Will has "no game", as the only woman interested in him turns out to actually be seeking a threesome with him and Kate. Meanwhile, Andi's second pregnancy has progressed to the overly-amorous stage, which exhausts Bobby.|
|3||"Game Sext Match"||Fred Savage||Justin Nowell||April 21, 2014||1AWT06||5.41|
|Bobby reluctantly accepts the overly-competitive Lowell as his tennis partner for an upcoming tournament. The two are in line to win when two senior members of Bobby's office blackmail him into throwing the championship match. Meanwhile, to prove to his friends he is not so conservative, Will is talked into texting a photo of his private parts to a girl he has only dated once.|
|4||"Pros and Cons"||Fred Savage||Kate VanDevender||April 28, 2014||1AWT04||6.11|
|Kate sleeps with Randy (Nick Zano), a man she thinks is her blind date, but he turns out to be a male prostitute. Meanwhile, Bobby and Will try to get rid of a rat that they discover in the house.|
|5||"The Bicycle Thieves"||Fred Savage||Michael Markowitz||May 5, 2014||1AWT05||4.92|
|Trying to prove they can drink like Lowell, Bobby and Will go out on the town with him, only to wake up the next morning to the realization that they stole police bicycles sometime during the night. Kate gets upset when Jules gets special treatment in the grocery store express checkout, while Andi is upset to discover that Bobby has a former Playboy Playmate of the Year for a client.|
|6||"Yummy Mummy"||Victor Gonzalez||Nastaran Dibai||May 12, 2014||1AWT07||4.81|
|Kate thinks she's found the perfect guy, but freaks out after he announces he has a daughter. The daughter turns out to be 23 and she and Kate get along great, until Will starts to date the daughter. Meanwhile, Andi thinks a male parent at her child-rearing class is hitting on her, while the gang finds a sex video from Bobby and Andi's honeymoon.|
|7||"Cyrano de Trainer-Zac"||Fred Savage||Michael Markowitz||May 19, 2014||1AWT08||5.13|
|Kate sleeps with Will's trainer, Zac, and later complains to the gang that the sex was awful. She breaks up with Zac via text, causing the mopey Zac to refuse to train Will. Will gives Zac some tips and begs Kate to give him one more chance. Following a night of great sex, Kate is horrified to learn that Will taught Zac all the moves he used. Bobby and Andi look for a nanny to reduce the amount of time that Andi's smothering mother is in the house watching Charlie. Elsewhere, Lowell pleads with Jules to wear his great-grandmother's awful-looking gown at their wedding.|
|8||"Something New"||Phill Lewis||Michael Markowitz and Justin Nowell||May 26, 2014||1AWT09||5.31|
|The gang attends the wedding of Kate's friend and former sorority sister, and Kate asks Will to pretend to be her boyfriend so she can impress her college friends by dating a doctor. Kate soon meets a handsome single guy at the reception and dumps Will, leaving him to deal with an older woman he had slept with while drunk only a few days before. Meanwhile, Lowell surprises Jules with a trip to India, but she gets mad because they are supposed to be saving money for their wedding. The two ponder whether or not they should get married, as they appear to think so differently. Andi's water breaks at the reception, and the gang joins her and Bobby at the hospital after Andi gives birth to the couple's daughter. Upon seeing the newborn, Lowell proclaims how much he still wants to marry Jules.|
Future episodes without a scheduled air date
|110||"No More Mr. Nice Guy"|
|111||"The Lost and Hound"|
- Andreeva, Nellie (December 19, 2013). "CBS Sets Finale Date For 'How I Met Your Mother' To Be Followed By 'Friends With Better Lives' Debut, 'Broke Girls' Moves To 8". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Swift, Andy (May 10, 2014). "CBS Cancels The Crazy Ones, Intelligence, Friends With Better Lives and Two Other Series". TVLine. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 10, 2014). "'Suburgatory', 'Friends With Better Lives' Look For New Networks Post Cancellation". Deadline.com. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 27, 2014). "CBS Yanks Remaining Episodes of 'Friends With Better Lives' & 'Bad Teacher' Off Schedule". zap2it.com. Retrieved June 2, 2014.
- "Development Update: Friday, September 21". The Futon Critic. September 21, 2012. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 22, 2013). "‘Beverly Hills Cop’, ‘Backstrom’ & Dana Klein Comedy Get Pilot Orders At CBS". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Porter, Rick (February 22, 2013). "James Van Der Beek joins CBS' 'Friends With Better Lives' after 'Apt. 23' cancellation". Zap2it.com. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Luoma, Sarah (March 4, 2013). "Brooklyn Decker joins CBS comedy pilot 'Friends with Better Lives'". Digital Spy. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- "Development Update: Monday, March 4". The Futon Critic. March 4, 2013. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- "Kevin Connolly Joins 'Friends With Better Lives' Alongside James Van Der Beek, And More Pilot News". The Huffington Post. March 6, 2013. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 22, 2013). "Zoe Lister Jones To Star In CBS Pilot ‘Friends With Better Lives’". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Goldberg, Lesley (May 12, 2013). "CBS Adds James Van Der Beek Comedy 'Friends With Better Lives'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (April 1, 2014). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'How I Met Your Mother' & 'Dancing With The Stars' Adjusted Up; 'Friends With Better Lives' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (April 15, 2014). "Monday Final TV Ratings: '2 Broke Girls' & 'The Voice' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 22, 2014). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'The Voice', 'Dancing With the Stars' & 'Bones' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (April 29, 2014). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'The Tomorrow People', 'Castle', '2 Broke Girls' & 'Dancing With The Stars' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 6, 2014). "Monday Final TV Ratings: '2 Broke Girls' & 'Dancing With the Stars' Adjusted Up; 'Mike & Molly' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 13, 2014). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'Bones', 'Castle', 'Dancing With The Stars' & 'Friends With Better Lives' Adjusted Up; 'Star-Crossed' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 20, 2014). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'The Voice', 'Dancing With the Stars' & 'The Bachelorette' Adjusted Up; 'The Maya Rudolph Show' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 28, 2014). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'The Bachelorette', 'MasterChef' & 'American Ninja Warrior' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- Reg. #PAu003691418 at U.S. Copyright Records database.
- Reg. #PAu003703239 at U.S. Copyright Records database.
- Reg. #PAu003706082 at U.S. Copyright Records database.
- Reg. #PAu003706071 at U.S. Copyright Records database.