|Product type||Pet food - Cat food
formerly dog food
|Owner||Nestlé Purina PetCare|
|Introduced||1930 (as dog food)
1958 (as cat food)
|Previous owners||Carnation Company (1930s-1985)|
|Tagline||Friskies For More (2004-2007)
Feed The Senses (2007-present)
Friskies is a brand of cat food. It is owned by Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, a subsidiary of Nestlé. This brand is offered as a canned soft/wet food, as well as dry food (i.e. kibble). Flavors include poultry, beef and seafood.
Friskies dry dog food was introduced in 1930 or 1934. Friskies canned dog food was introduced in 1948. Friskies's dry cat food was first sold by the Carnation Company in 1958  as Little Friskies In 1973, Friskies Mighty Dog canned dog food was introduced. In 1982 Carnation introduced its sister product, Fancy Feast. Carnation and the Friskies brand were acquired by Nestlé in 1985.
As of April 2013, Friskies offers the following products.
- Dry Food
- Grillers Blend
- Indoor Delights
- Seafood Sensations
- Surfin' & Turfin' Favorites
- Rise & Shine (Dry and Wet)
- Wet Food
- Classic Paté
- Gravy Sensations
- Meaty Bits
- Prime Filets
- Savory Shreds
- Senior Diet
- Tasty Treasures
- Friskies Plus: Sub-products include Special Diet.
- Party Mix: Consists of nine flavors: Original, Wild West, Picnic, Mixed Grill, Cheezy Craze, Beachside, Morning Munch, Meow Luau and California Dreamin'.
- Crispies: Featuring four flavors: Cheese Flavor Puffs, Chicken Flavor Puffs, Milk Flavor Puffs and Salmon Flavor Puffs.
- Natural Sensations: With three flavors featuring the tastes of real Chicken, Salmon and Tuna.
- Indoor Adventures: only in one flavor, Crunchy Chicken Flavor.
- Oh No! Hairball: formerly known as Friskies Hairball Remedy, with the flavor of Chicken.
Friskies commissioned a series of four Henri, le Chat Noir short films on the subject of "cat food boredom". Grumpy Cat appeared in episodes of the Friskies YouTube game show "Will Kitty Play With It?"
Will Kitty Play With It?
From 12 February to 29 March 2013, Friskies made 9 episodes of a game show for cats called "Will Kitty Play With It?". It starred many different cats, and the last 3 episodes featured Grumpy Cat starring in the Celebrity Edition of the game. It is possible more episodes will air soon.
- "Friskies". Pet Food - Cats. Mahalo. Retrieved 2010-06-20.
- "Friskies". 'Our History'. Ralston Purina Company. Retrieved 2010-06-20.
- "1934". Brand timeline - Friskies. Nestlé USA. Retrieved 2010-06-20.
- Nestlé Purina. "A Glimpse from the Past to the Present". Nestlé Purina PetCare. Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- New Friskies Cubes. Time (Time Inc.). 14 July 1958. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- Tim Nudd (1 March 2013). "Henri the Existential Cat Sells His Bleak and Blackened Soul to Friskies". Adweek. Retrieved 2013-03-06.
- Laura Stampler (1 March 2013). "AD OF THE DAY: Henri The Existential Cat Sells Out To Peddle Friskies". Business Insider. Retrieved 2013-03-06.
- "Henri the cat sells out to Friskies, fills us with existential despair". msnNOW. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-06.
- Elena Gorgan (1 March 2013). "Viral of the Day: Henri le Chat Noir Is Now Selling Cat Food". Softpedia. Retrieved 2013-03-06.
- "Grumpy Cat: The Internet’s Favorite Sour Cat Draws Crowds at SXSW - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. 4 April 2012. Retrieved 2013-03-11.
- "Grumpy Cat - Pamprrrrd at Friskies Photo Shoot". TMZ.com. 8 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- Helen A.S. Popkin (24 October 2012). "Sex, death and Grumpy Cat: The true meaning of SXSW - Technology on". Nbcnews.com. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
- "Grumpy Cat on Friskies® Cat Game Show, "Will Kitty Play With It?"". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-03-22.