|Born||15 June 1892
|Died||15 July 1941
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1912–1941|
|Commands held||Infanterie-Regiment 77|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Fritz Hertzsch (15 June 1892 – 15 July 1941) was a highly decorated Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Fritz Hertzsch was killed on 15 July 1941 near Kutjany, Russia. He was posthumously awarded the Knight's Cross on 8 August 1941.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Knight's Cross of the Military Order of St. Henry (24 March 1915)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 8 August 1941 as Oberst and commander of Infanterie-Regiment 77
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 186.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- Fritz Hertzsch @ Axis Biographical Research at the Wayback Machine (archived November 16, 2010)
- World War 2 Awards.com
Generalmajor Friedrich Bayer
|Commander of Infanterie-Regiment 77
26 August 1939 – 15 July 1941
Oberst Alexander von Pfuhlstein